catfish/bottom dwellers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mcrousse, Jan 2, 2013.

1. mcrousse

mcrousseValued MemberMember

Hi all,

I have a 55 gallon that I am slowly stocking. Right now as far as bottom-dwellers go, I only have 1 upside-down catfish that spends a lot of time hiding inside a decoration (LFS didn't have much stock at the time) and wanted to add probably 3 more eventually to make a small school. I am wondering then if I later add some brochis cats or rams or apistos if that would be too many bottom dwellers? My dwarf gourami spends a lot of time down there as well, picking at this and that. Do you think it would be maxed out with 4 upside-down cats? (I am pretty sure this one is the real synodontis nigriventris as well).

Current stock: 1 quarter-sized angelfish, 1 sunset dwarf gourami, 10 neons (I know this could be an issue with the angel later) and 1 upside-down cat, as well as some plants. Filtered with Aquaclear 110.

2. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

IMO, I would stick to only one school of bottom dwellers (upside downs since you already have one). I condsidered adding a pictus to my cory cats at one point but I read somewhere that there would be too much competition for the same food and space. The smaller ones would get bullied and probably starve. And since your DG sounds like he spends a lot of time "down under", I would be very careful not to overcrowd.

But that's just me. Hopefully someone with more bottom dwelling experience will chime in soon...

3. OP
    OP
    mcrousse

mcrousseValued MemberMember

Thank you, Ava!

Do y'all think a ram or apisto would work?

4. Ava

AvaValued MemberMember

Those also have a tendency to hang out at the bottom (or at least mine do). They also might object to the presence of your DG or vice versa. I wasn't willing to try that combo (my DG is in my 10g and my rams are in the 20g).

You "might" be able to get away with ONE ram. Maybe. Once again I'd do some more research and wait for more unput from others here on the forum. Good Luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice