Catfish and bettas

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i don't know if any body here could answer this question but if u can please do!! does anybody know if catfish and bettas get along? and if so what size tank would be needed? my sister has a male betta, Calamarrie, and wants to get a catfish to go with him so he isn't lonely - would this be good or bad? thnx a ton! Miley

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What's her tank size? Could you just make one post with all your questions in it so we don't have to keep hunting all over the forum for them, thanks.

atm

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, she needs to put the questions in the proper board, Austin. She is posting correctly by asking about catfish here..

First of all, there are many types of Catfish. Some of them get very BIG. There are really only two types of catfish that I know of that are small enough to go into a tank with a betta. They are Corydoras catfish or Cories and Otocinclus catfish or Otos. If you have a large tank there are some called Bristlenose catfish and they could be put in there with a betta. For the home tanks like you have described (small) unless you have at least 5 gallons, then no you should not put any fish in there with the betta. Bettas do not get lonely as they are used to being in a container by themselves and sometimes have a hard time getting used to anything being in the tank with them.

I have 3 bettas right now who do not mind having catfish in with them but the little girl I just lost killed two of the three Corydoras catfish I put in with her as she did not want ANYTHING in the tank with her. I had to put her into a tank by herself. She had also been responsible for the deaths of 3 of her sisters. It all depends on the temperment of the betta.

Before she buys a fish and brings it home, be sure to find out what kind it is and do a little research on the size of it when it is full grown and if you are not sure, you can always ask here. For a 5 gallon tank the Otocinclus catfish is the only one that is appropriate. You should never get just one as they like to be kept in groups of 3 although I do have 2 in my tanks and they do okay.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry was just asking if she could make a journal or something so it's not so hard to track down all her questions. Rubberllip plecos stay small 1.5" but are hard to find.

atm

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i am sorry but i thought that you can post any fish questions that you have under any catagorie that they fall under - is this true?  also she has a 1 gallon but is going to upgrade asap.  so we aren't quite sure what size.  what size do you suggest?  thnx Miley :-\

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is really better if you try to keep them where the other questions of that type are going to be..(sick fish goes in Freshwater Fish Disease; Bettas go in Betta Board; Tetras go in Tetras and then down to Neons or other types; Questions about the setting up of tanks and cycling tanks go in Freshwater Fish Beginners; and so on). This just makes sure that people that ONLY look for things about Bettas or Tetras or Beginners will see the question as we do not all cover the entire forum. We could miss something important if it is way out of place. I do try to at least look to see what all is new and I think most of the other moderators do also, but there are many other people on this forum who know a lot about their fish and they may have just the answer you need and would not see a Betta question in a Tetra Board if they do not happen to own Tetras.

If you are in doubt where the questions go, it is probably wise to put it in the Beginner's section and the moderators will move it if needs be, but please do try to figure it out first before you do this. We have a lot of members and if everyone did this we would get nothing done but move messages.

It may be a really good idea to take a few minutes and look the WHOLE forum over and see if you can figure out how it works. I know that you are young but believe me we have younger members online and they have learned to get around after a bit so do not feel embarrassed or upset, just do your best and we will be willing to help for a bit until you have a chance to look around.

Your Catfish and Betta question can go in either Catfish or Bettas but I would suggest that it not go in Both areas. That looks like what you have done.

You sound very afraid of losing fish and it is painful to do but as long as you know that you are doing your best, you should not be so hard on yourself. Just make sure your fish have clean water and good food but not being overfed and they will probably be fine until you can get them a bigger home with a filter and heater. Just let us know if you see anything different about them like spots or clamped fins or loss of color.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose,
i obviously have a hard time putting things in the wrong places - its like my issues ya know? and also thank you so much and yes i am scred of losing my fish - iactually lost one last night sad to say. well thnx for helping me so much. Miley

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 1 gallon aquarium is too small to add any more fish. Your sister should get a 10 gallon aquarium. They are only $9.99-$11.99. If your sister gets the 10 gallon aquarium, she can add 3 corys or 3 otos.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thnx very much!!!!!!!!!! we are going to be moving so shes going to wait. thnx Miley

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You could either have a betta with say two otos in a 5 g or a betta with one or two smaller cories in the same one. However you might be better off with a 10 gallon.
Fair warning: bettas can be very territorial and my last betta hated the corys in his tank. Bettas unlike gouramis are rarely put in tanks with other fish and so they become really ornery and difficult socially. The fish staying with them either need to be able to hide easily (and bettas can be fairly agile) or really fast.

Upside down catfish apparently do okay with bettas as well.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Good to know... Thnx Miley

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Upside Down Catfish get 4 in long and need to be kept in groups of 3 or more, so they'd need a MUCH larger tank than 10 gals. I wouldn't get Cories unless you have room for at least 3 of them, since they like to have friends (which means you'd need at least a 10 gal). For 5 gals you could have a Betta and a few Otos although I would not recommend it unless the tank is heavily planted, since Otos are sensitive to water quality.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom