Caterpillar Identification?

1. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Butterfly newbie here. Was hoping if anyone can identify the species of butterfly these cats are? If can't and you know anyone who can please tag them so they see this thanks!

I found these guys on my broccoli -hundreds of them! I removed as many as I could plus one cool green guy, and put then into some other plants in the front garden that I don't really care for . I also found some yellow eggs and several pupas but I didn't photograph them. I left the pupas on the broccoli. If anyone can ID these guys it would be a great help! Thanks!

Oh also I'm in SW Ireland, Europe if that's any help! Thank you!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know about the first one but the second one looks like cabbage white caterpillars

3. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

^^^That's right they are in fact all cabbage white caterpillars.

The top one is Small White (Pieris rapae). Eggs are laid singly.

The lower ones are Large White (Pieris brassicae). Eggs are laid in clusters.

They will (as far as I know) only feed on members of the cabbage family (Brassicas) or Nasturtium.

4. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys! I had my suspicions about the cabbage butterflies, I initially thought the pure green one was a cabbage white. I also thought there were only one type of cabbage butterflies! Thanks for the info! Also yes, those yellow eggs I saw were laid a good 2-3cm apart from each other. Not in your stereotypical cluster. I love butterflies and caterpillars. Especially hairy Mollies!! I haven't seen one in years though...

5. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I haven't heard caterpillars called that before !
    Any hairy mollies in the photos below ?

Here are some I have snapped when out and about - I think the name of the caterpillar comes up when you hover your mouse (cursor) over the photo:

Calliteara pudibunda Pale Tussock Steve Joul 26.07.10 (3).JPG Cinnebar Tyria jacobaeae Barnbow Steve Joul 30.07.11.JPG Death's-head Hawk-moth Acherontia atropos Home Steve Joul 05.08.11.JPG Elephant Hawk-moth Deilephila elpinor Clifton Blackies Steve Joul 22.08.09.JPG Garden Tiger Arctia caga Anglesey Steve Joul 16.06.10.JPG Lime Hawk - moth Mimas tiliae Hatched at home Steve Joul 03.07.07 (2).jpg Malacosoma neustria Lackey Moth Abberffraw Dunes Anglesey Steve Joul 12.06.10 (1).JPG Oak Eggar Lasiocampa quercus St. David's Head Pembrokeshire Steve Joul 27.06.09.JPG Puss Moth Cerura vinula Steve Joul 07.07.09 (1).jpg Small Tortoiseshell Aglais urticae Ledsham Banks Steve Joul 30.06.09 (2).JPG Yellow-tail Euproctis similis Valley Wetlands Anglesey Steve Joul 13.06.10 (2).JPG

6. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

WOW!!!! So many caterpillars!!!!!! I remember when my old cat brought in an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar and the way it moved, when I first saw it I thought it was a snake! Amazing pictures Redshark1! I wish I could find that variety and number of caterpillars in my locality

Hairy Mollies are these black, fuzzy lil dudes and they are the funniest things ever. They're the caterpillar of a type of tortoiseshell butterfly. Unfortunately though they are on the decline, and I haven't seen one in about 4 years

7. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Nice pictures and love the fact that the ID comes up. I also love butterflys, and the nice thing here is I have them all year round. I do plant to feed the young caterpillars and the adult butterflies. Alison:;hi2

8. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Wow! Butterflies all year round! Amazing!

No snowball fights though?!

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

WWe mover to South west Fla in gardening zone 10A 9 years ago, from Massachusetts. We had plenty of snowball fights over the years. At this point in my like I don't even allow a snow globe in the house. I much prefer my butterflies all year round along with green trees and flowers. The Gulf of Mexico is a 10 min ride from my house but a mile as the crow flies. Alison:;hi1

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I always loved Tomato Hornworms (another type of hawkmoth) but sadly they, too, seem to have disappeared:(

As did the Yellow Garden Spiders I used to fear running into. They're endangered now but their huge webs used to cover the field behind our house. I blame the guy next door for spraying all the time:(

11. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Try planting tomato plants and a field of corn , that always brought out both. The tomato hornworm and the field of corn would have tons and tons of the garden spiders. It worked in Mass. Alison:;banaman

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It was the corn that killed them:( The guy who rented the field next to us was always spraying but he never harvested a single crop. Last I saw that field not even weeds would grow. He also seemed to spray on windy days which meant it all blew into our field. One year he killed off all the plants I'd special ordered doing that. I expect he got a nice tax write-off for his "failed" crops every year:rolleyes:

13. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Oh no, that really is peverse!

We pay people to do nothing. Farmers can get paid for set aside (leaving land empty). People travel here to be paid to do nothing from other lands. Who can blame them? Its the policies that are wrong.

I would rather they grew butterflies than nothing.

Here's a little beauty I snapped when I visited the Great Orme in Wales. It landed right on my finger so I had to take the photo left handed !

Silver-studded Blue Plebeius argus Great Orme Anglesey Steve Joul edited 10.06.10 (2) - Copy.JPG

I'm glad you didn't miss out on the snowball fights Alison !

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Stunning!

Not to go too far off topic but somewhere in Denmark I am in somebody's travel album with a giant Owl Butterfly hanging off my nose. Those things are surprisingly strong!

15. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Pics or it didn't happen LOL !!!

That would be good to see, er, I think!

Did it airlift you?

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ask the Danish! I didn't take the pictures:p

17. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hehehe awh what a shame