Catching The Cherry Shrimp Disease

Ricksza

I caught it bad. I currently have a divided 10 gallon tank with red on one side and blue on the other. It's been up and breeding for about 3 months and I decided to get a 5 shelf rack to hold 2 20 gallon tanks and use the current divided for culls. My concern is: I currently have 2 sponge filters (picture below) in my current setup, they work great and the shrimp love it, but the bubbles drive me nuts. Is it just the type of sponge filter? Do other sponge filters run quiet? Should I go with HOB or canister? Could I use one canister on two 20 gal tanks? Any other ideas on how to filter the 20's?

sponge filter.jpg

Crazycoryfishlady

My lfs makes the bubbles lesser by putting a cup through the airline, it catches the bubbles and makes it a bit quieter.
Also I think maybe yes? I guess I'm not the best judge with 8 tanks running around me, but I would say my sponges and bubbles are pretty quiet.
I have some bacto surge*? Circular and corner filters.

richiep

You can go with any filter you like just make sure you have a sponge on the intake. Now before you go down that road try taking the inner pipe out of the outer so the bubbles go straight up also push the filter down to the bottom, also check and see if you can get the Aquael minI power head out there and let me know as that can be used with sponge filters

david1978

That brand appeares to be over there and not state side. The aquatop ph 8 looks very similar I think.

richiep

The aquael minI allows you to put it straight onto the sponge instant peace or you can ad bubbles that are quiet,so you'd need to take s sponge and see if it adapts to your version

Attachments

• 20190131_171418.jpg
    20190131_171418.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 72

Ricksza

That brand appeares to be over there and not state side. The aquatop ph 8 looks very similar I think.
Looks like North America is left out in the cold on this one.

david1978

That's why I mentioned the aquatop one. Its looks very similar and is available to me and your only about 2 hours away.

bgclarke

Cobalt is bringing some Aquael products to North America.
I've been asking about the Pat minI for a while.

I use similar filters to the one shown in the OP.
I have the output just below the surface: it's a lot quieter.

Ricksza

....I have the output just below the surface: it's a lot quieter.
That's what I did already and turned the air pressure down, but I can still hear it the next room over. On the other hand, I have to check my canister to see if it's still running while I'm in the same room.

Ricksza

That's why I mentioned the aquatop one. Its looks very similar and is available to me and your only about 2 hours away.
I do like the function and I see it on Amazon for a good price, just wondering why I don't see any reviews on it . Even Amazon has under 100 reviews on it. I can see it's been around for over 6 years.

BillynJennifer

You can get a small powerhead that will connect to your sponge filter. You won't have any bubbles and you will get a lot of flow through your sponge.

Ricksza

You can get a small powerhead that will connect to your sponge filter. You won't have any bubbles and you will get a lot of flow through your sponge.
I like that idea. Just have to find a reliable one that will work with 20 gallons.

BillynJennifer

I like that idea. Just have to find a reliable one that will work with 20 gallons.

I am using a HOB filter right now, but I've decided to go back to the sponge filter with the area for whatever media you want to add. I'm going to add Purigen and use a small powerhead to make the filter more efficient.

Ricksza

I am using a HOB filter right now, but I've decided to go back to the sponge filter with the area for whatever media you want to add. I'm going to add Purigen and use a small powerhead to make the filter more efficient.
Are you talking about a sponge filter with media, something like this? Or an internal filter? Any ideas on powerheads?

Filter.jpg

richiep

Those filters are good but it's the power head you need to fit BillynJennifer can advise on the power heads you use over there ours are different

BillynJennifer

Are you talking about a sponge filter with media, something like this? Or an internal filter? Any ideas on powerheads?

Filter.jpg

That is the sort of sponge filter I was referring to. You get mechanical and biological filtering through the actual sponge, and depending on the media you add into the bottom, you can get chemical filtering as well. Typically, you need your powerhead to filter 5 times the amount of water you have. So that would be 5*20=100gph. Check out Amazon and look at the powerheads that are around 100gph, and then look into Youtube to see how to modify your sponge filter so that it works with your powerhead. You're going to get tremendous water flow through the sponge and the extra media at the bottom. I'm going to use Purigen because my tap water already has more nitrate than what I want.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Marlene327
  • Question
Replies