Catching My Own Shrimp?

Jennasoutherfranks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have some F8s and I want to feed them live shrimp. I live in Hawaii and the ag laws here are really strict so there's little to no supply of inverts in pet stores. What I can get is the snails that come on my plants from Petco which I would like to try and breed for the puffies and also a native shrimp called "opae ula" which is a tiny little red shrimp. There are farms but they run about $1.20 PER SHRIMP. I can catch them at the beach though. Is there a way to get them and feed them to my F8s without risking contamination? Like how can I "detox" my wild caught shrimp? How about wild caught marine snails?

I am also looking to order some horned nerite snails which I would also like to breed. Are those good for feeding to F8s?

Thanks!!

kettlekorn13

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
f8s will eat almost any inverts, in order to make sure the shrimp are healthy is to quarantine them but WITHOUT meds because most meds will kill inverts. I wish I could get any shrimp for $1.20 though!!!

Jennasoutherfranks

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
f8s will eat almost any inverts, in order to make sure the shrimp are healthy is to quarantine them but WITHOUT meds because most meds will kill inverts. I wish I could get any shrimp for $1.20 though!!!
Thanks!!! I know $1.20 is cheap for a shrimp but they max out at about 1/2 inch so it kind of translates.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom