Catching My Own Shrimp?

Jennasoutherfranks

I have some F8s and I want to feed them live shrimp. I live in HawaiI and the ag laws here are really strict so there's little to no supply of inverts in pet stores. What I can get is the snails that come on my plants from Petco which I would like to try and breed for the puffies and also a native shrimp called "opae ula" which is a tiny little red shrimp. There are farms but they run about $1.20 PER SHRIMP. I can catch them at the beach though. Is there a way to get them and feed them to my F8s without risking contamination? Like how can I "detox" my wild caught shrimp? How about wild caught marine snails?

I am also looking to order some horned nerite snails which I would also like to breed. Are those good for feeding to F8s?

Thanks!!

kettlekorn13

f8s will eat almost any inverts, in order to make sure the shrimp are healthy is to quarantine them but WITHOUT meds because most meds will kill inverts. I wish I could get any shrimp for $1.20 though!!!

Jennasoutherfranks

kettlekorn13 said:
f8s will eat almost any inverts, in order to make sure the shrimp are healthy is to quarantine them but WITHOUT meds because most meds will kill inverts. I wish I could get any shrimp for $1.20 though!!!
Thanks!!! I know $1.20 is cheap for a shrimp but they max out at about 1/2 inch so it kind of translates.

tunafax

What about ghost shrimp at petsmart? Those are 39 cents. Or is that not available in hawaii?

Jocelyn Adelman

Just be aware if you go for the opae they need to be kept in brackish...

Jennasoutherfranks

tunafax said:
What about ghost shrimp at petsmart? Those are 39 cents. Or is that not available in hawaii?
Nope none here.

Jocelyn Adelman said:
Just be aware if you go for the opae they need to be kept in brackish...
Yup! Already got a second brackish tank going

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom