Catching Guppy Fry

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I woke up this morning to discover one if my female guppies had given birth overnight. Usually I move the females to a breeding trap before giving birth but I hadn't realised this one was more gravid than it looked. I want to move the fry to my fry tank but I am having problems catching them. The tank there in is a heavily planted sphere and netting is proving tricky. I considered sucking them up with my syphon but worried this would harm them. Anyone got any suggestions.
Thank you in advance.

LMO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could you reduce the water level and scoop them out using a tub (might be safer than using a net) - as newborns are they mainly at the water's surface as this should make them easier to catch? I would avoid using a syphon as they are so fragile.

Brenden

Valued Member
Reaction score
Syphon would almost certainly kill them. Try using a small clear cup and scooping up water. It's not the most efficient way, but it assures you don't accidentally kill one.

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could you reduce the water level and scoop them out using a tub (might be safer than using a net) - as newborns are they mainly at the water's surface as this should make them easier to catch? I would avoid using a syphon as they are so fragile.
They are mostly swimming around near the bottom.

CastleGrayskull

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It takes practice to catch those fry! I usually can outsmart them - as I don't move my females before they give birth because I don't want to stress them.

So long as the water speed isn't too strong and the holes are big enough, I doubt a siphon would kill them. They're tougher than they seem.

One trick I use is to give them a hiding spot and then use that spot to trick them into a net.

Good luck!

Heron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will have a go tomorrow

TankGirl86

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi! Congrats on the babies!!I recently had my first experience with fishing fry out of my 29g and into my 5g nursery. I put in a floating plant meant for fry to hide in and filled a cup with water from the tank and waited for them to hid near the surface. Then I used my small net to get them out. Left them in the net and let the net float in the cup and walked them one by one to their safe haven.The small net I have is not mesh, it's more like a cotton sheet. I just said look guys, I'm trying to save you from being eaten get in the net. Good luck!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The difficulty of catching fry is why I don't pluck out the fry when a female drops. I move the female out to another tank with her males to fatten up and drop again, and raise the fry in the original tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom