55 Gallon Tank Catching Fry

bolivianbaby

I caught all but around 10 of the convict fry. Do the 10 that are still in there have a good chance of survival or should I re-boost my efforts to remove them? They're about a month old and I removed the male a few weeks ago because he was being too aggressive to the female.

The tank inhabitants are:
1 female striped convict
2 female jellybean convicts

I did find unfertiziled eggs of one of the female jellys yesterday, so they're getting back into spawn mode.

Tony G.

hehehe
I think they'll be fine.
If not, you have about 80+ fry, so you have some extras

Shawnie

I'm still finding cons in a few tanks that I couldnt catch and thought were meals....you would be surprised how strong and fast these buggers are

bolivianbaby

Shawnie said:
I'm still finding cons in a few tanks that I couldnt catch and thought were meals....you would be surprised how strong and fast these buggers are
Yay, no reason to panic! If they survive and I like them, I may just leave them in there. Of course, I've never met a con I didn't like;D

Toddnbecka

OK, what do you expect to do with convict fry (or juvies, or even adults if you keep them long enough) in the long run? Convicts are about as rare/desirable as feeder fish in general. You'll honestly be darn lucky to find some fool willing to take them, much less sell them. Sorry, but I've seen too many "OH, my convicts have SPAWNED" posts on too many forums. Yay, they did what they do if you give them water and food. So do guppies. and there are already too many of them as well. They're cheap, common, and breed like flies on dead meat. A thrill for an inexperienced hobbyist, but essentially worthless in general. IMO the best thing to do is get/have a larger tank that houses something that will eat convict fry. I do apologize if I've offended your sensibilities, but that's the real picture.

iloveengl

Certainly, it's fine to note that bb should consider the long run, but her posts over the past seem to indicate that she is not your typical thoughtless inexperienced fish owner.

Also, people do buy guppies (mollies, platys, etc.). I have two LFS in the area who gladly accept my guppy and molly fry because the world is full of us fools who will continue to buy them, no matter how common or worthless they are. I can't help but imagine there is a whole class of individuals who are just as big a fools for convicts. ;D

bolivianbaby

Toddnbecka said:
OK, what do you expect to do with convict fry (or juvies, or even adults if you keep them long enough) in the long run? Convicts are about as rare/desirable as feeder fish in general. You'll honestly be darn lucky to find some fool willing to take them, much less sell them. Sorry, but I've seen too many "OH, my convicts have SPAWNED" posts on too many forums. Yay, they did what they do if you give them water and food. So do guppies. and there are already too many of them as well. They're cheap, common, and breed like flies on dead meat. A thrill for an inexperienced hobbyist, but essentially worthless in general. IMO the best thing to do is get/have a larger tank that houses something that will eat convict fry. I do apologize if I've offended your sensibilities, but that's the real picture.
I must say that was uncalled for nor was that particular opinion asked in the original post, but allow me to put your "concerns" to rest. I am using the convict fry to provide food for my JD's. Nor am I atempting to sell them. When I come across people who are wanting cons, I give them away. At least I know mine are healthy, unlike the ones sold at the stores.

Also, many experiences hobbyists also enjoy allowing their cons to breed, so that was an unnecessary statement as well. I'm also of the VERY STRONG OPINION that no fish is worthless. They are all living creatures who need good homes.

All of my cons (except one) were given to me by friends, so they're extra precious to me, by no means considered worthless.

I do apologize if I've offended your sensibilities, but that's the real picture.

iloveengl said:
Certainly, it's fine to note that bb should consider the long run, but her posts over the past seem to indicate that she is not your typical thoughtless inexperienced fish owner.

Also, people do buy guppies (mollies, platys, etc.). I have two LFS in the area who gladly accept my guppy and molly fry because the world is full of us fools who will continue to buy them, no matter how common or worthless they are. I can't help but imagine there is a whole class of individuals who are just as big a fools for convicts. ;D
Thank you for your post iloveengle. You are right on target on all counts

CHoffman

Yes, I would have to agree..I'm sure your heart was in the right place ToddnBecka but it did come across as rude. :-\..BB is a responsible and experienced fish owner and your post was WAY off topic. I would agree however that inexperienced fish owners get way over there head when their convicts start to breed, causing allot of problems. Also making them worthless (in the LFS eyes only, not ours ;D). I understand how you could be frustrated by this problem that I agree is actually a problem but the op isn't adding to the problem nor did she ask for that information.

Tony G.

Toddnbecka said:
I see your point, but the way it was stated was unnecessary. BB is one of the most responsible pet owners I have every met. By all means she knows what she's doing. She's not just a lame backyard breeder, she does things for a reason. Like she said, she uses the babies for her JD. JD's need live food, and she is using this to keep her JD happy. She knows what she's doing, and BB I admire you for the love you give to your pets. ITs hard to come around people who give so much for their beloved pets, so thank you.

bolivianbaby said:
I must say that was uncalled for nor was that particular opinion asked in the original post, but allow me to put your "concerns" to rest. I am using the convict fry to provide food for my JD's. Nor am I atempting to sell them. When I come across people who are wanting cons, I give them away. At least I know mine are healthy, unlike the ones sold at the stores.

Also, many experiences hobbyists also enjoy allowing their cons to breed, so that was an unnecessary statement as well. I'm also of the VERY STRONG OPINION that no fish is worthless. They are all living creatures who need good homes.

All of my cons (except one) were given to me by friends, so they're extra precious to me, by no means considered worthless.

I do apologize if I've offended your sensibilities, but that's the real picture.
Very well said. Who doesn't love watching the cute little fellers herd around the babies

iloveengl said:

And yes, no ANIMAL, let alone a pet, is worthless. She is by far a very experienced owner.

BB, you do things perfectly, you provide them a great home, and love. You are awesome. Keep it up

How are the babies doing?

bolivianbaby

They're doing really good, Tony. Thanks for asking. I'm really hoping to get some pics and vids by the end of the weekend when I finish my tank swapping scenario. I really want to get my africans in the 75 gallon today and the princess's africans into the 55 in the kitchen so we can still have our entertainment with dinner. I've got the PH's and temps matching, so there won't be any shocks. Now it's time to go fishing

navyscuba

Well said

bolivianbaby said:
They're doing really good, Tony. Thanks for asking. I'm really hoping to get some pics and vids by the end of the weekend when I finish my tank swapping scenario. I really want to get my africans in the 75 gallon today and the princess's africans into the 55 in the kitchen so we can still have our entertainment with dinner. I've got the PH's and temps matching, so there won't be any shocks. Now it's time to go fishing
Your post above were very well spoken. hahaha

Tony G.

hahahha wow its gonna take a while! haha I can totally imagine you and shawnie trying to catch the fishies and screaming at the same time

bolivianbaby

navyscuba said:
Your post above were very well spoken. hahaha
Thank you

Tony G. said:
hahahha wow its gonna take a while! haha I can totally imagine you and shawnie trying to catch the fishies and screaming at the same time
I wish Shawnie was down here! Just teasing Tony, I know whatcha mean Fortunately, PlecoPrincess loves to go fishing, so she's chasing africans at the moment. Better her than me! Those suckers are faster than con fry

It took me over an hour to catch the tropical community tank in the 75. Please remind me next time I "upgrade" tanks to check and see if I have other options before I do the "plop and drop". I didn't even think about the pleco being with the africans until I set up the 75 as the tropical community.

Navy, I bet your glad those babies you gave me are safe in the growout tank until my insane tank-swapping subsides;D

Tony G.

it happens! one time I was like... I should release the fry and see what they do... then, I realized I had 20+ fry swimming around and then I found out I had to put them back into the net... man that was a pain lol!

you should get a HUGE net and just go all straight down the tank and catch them all together!

Toddnbecka

(Attempting to remove foot from mouth...) After rereading the original post I see that I did get a bit carried away. Too much brandy, not enough attention to the post.
The easiest way I've found to catch any fish is to pull the rocks, driftwood, etc. out of the tank and use 2 nets. Saves me considerable aggravation and the fish considerable stress.

bolivianbaby

Toddnbecka said:
(Attempting to remove foot from mouth...) After rereading the original post I see that I did get a bit carried away. Too much brandy, not enough attention to the post.
The easiest way I've found to catch any fish is to pull the rocks, driftwood, etc. out of the tank and use 2 nets. Saves me considerable aggravation and the fish considerable stress.
Not a problem. All is forgotten

We pull everything out here and use two nets, too. We haven't found a better way. I haven't mastered the "bowl" catching technique yet. I'm working on it though.

Tony G.

hmm... you could use a syphon to suck up the fish...
JUST KIDDING hahahah
maybe you could try 4 nets?? 4 hands and four nets... you HAVE to catch them like that either way haha one of you stand on one side while the other stands on the other side...

Gouramiguy17

I know , take a tank divider and just slowly move it down the tank and box up all the fish in one side so they are easy to catch

bolivianbaby

Tony G. said:
hmm... you could use a syphon to suck up the fish...
JUST KIDDING hahahah
maybe you could try 4 nets?? 4 hands and four nets... you HAVE to catch them like that either way haha one of you stand on one side while the other stands on the other side...

That's how we caught my africans! Great minds think alike.

The fry growout tank is barebottom, but we know I can't leave it like that. I just like aquascaping too much! I'm trying to figure out how to make it a good habitat for the fry, but still easy to "disassemble" for "feed-catching".

GouramiGuy-That's a great idea! I may do that. Thanks;D

gmen4life

man what you gonna do with ll your fry?

iloveengl

gmen4life: See post #8.

navyscuba

Hey BB One question, Are you still doing this changes with Buckets? If you are don't you think that after last weekend tank count and what we all told you you should update into a python? im

bolivianbaby

navyscuba said:
Hey BB One question, Are you still doing this changes with Buckets? If you are don't you think that after last weekend tank count and what we all told you you should update into a python? im
That's actually next on my list of things to do after I get all this other tank stuff handled;D See, I'm learning;D

The problem is, when I start using a python, I'll lose all that muscle strength that helps me move filing cabinets and lift 75 gallon tanks

navyscuba

You're nuts.

bolivianbaby said:
That's actually next on my list of things to do after I get all this other tank stuff handled;D See, I'm learning;D

The problem is, when I start using a python, I'll lose all that muscle strength that helps me move filing cabinets and lift 75 gallon tanks
Let me tell you something. YOU ARE NUTS. well you knew that already.

SWilkins

Yep she is nuts...go for the Python girl. Your gonna pay with your back, literally if you keep lifting those buckets with that many tanks!!! They had some pretty good prices on them at Ken's last time I looked or you could always just use the DIY python that I have seen somewhere online in the past few days...wonder where that was...hummm.

navyscuba

You can get the cheap model from wallyworld Lee's brand and use a garden hose. Cheap and easy.

bolivianbaby

navyscuba said:
Let me tell you something. YOU ARE NUTS. well you knew that already.
SWilkins said:
Yep she is nuts...go for the Python girl. Your gonna pay with your back, literally if you keep lifting those buckets with that many tanks!!! They had some pretty good prices on them at Ken's last time I looked or you could always just use the DIY python that I have seen somewhere online in the past few days...wonder where that was...hummm.
I'm going a little off topic here, but YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! With the stress of trying to figure out what's going on with the "Princess's" tank, I really needed these giggles this morning! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

SWilkins

bolivianbaby said:
I'm going a little off topic here, but YOU GUYS ARE GREAT! With the stress of trying to figure out what's going on with the "Princess's" tank, I really needed these giggles this morning! THANK YOU!!!!!!!
I hope that you get that figured out ASAP. I thought that was why everybody was here....to help each other out whether it be for a laugh to get through things or to help out with info.

bolivianbaby

Thanks I've done everything I can, so we're just crossing our fins and hoping for the best.

Random Great Thread

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

Latest threads

Top Bottom