Catching Fry

1. meyer137 Initiate Member

I have a 20 gallon tank, with mainly Platys in it, as well as one male Mollie, the babies are a mixed Mollie/platy breed. I am switching to a larger 30 gallon tank, and trying to catch the baby fish, which are about 3 weeks old, is darn near impossible. I dont want to freak them out too much by chasing them with the net. Is there a good way to do this or is it just a game of cat and mouse? Ive been breeding these fish for about 2 years, and this is the first time that ive ever had such an issue trying to catch them. Its like they all of the sudden got super fast! And the tank is emptied as far as decor goes as I moved it into the larger tank. Any help is appreciated!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Drain the water level as low as you can, leave just a few inches & use two nets guiding them with one net into the other.
    Btw mollies & platys can't interbreed

3. meyer137 Initiate Member

That's a great idea! Thank you! And if they cant interbreed, then they must have started breeding VERY young. The ones I have cant be more than 2 months old right now, I know they can start young, but they're no where near adult sized yet. I saw the Mollie breeding with the Platy fish. (Not saying they breed the fry, but he was definitely breeding with them.)

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Livebearers do start young, they have to as their lifespan is short.
    Good luck catching the fry :)