Catching fish

KarylLena

Reaction score
I have a very overstocked tank. Long story, tank leaks so everyone went in the 44 gallon. But now I am attempting to remove fish and relocate them.

OMG is there any easy way to capture fish besides draining the entire thing and removing all the plants? It will stress the other inhabitants out. This is a heavily planted tank.... I need to catch 9 ember tetras and those suckers are FAST. I can't catch them for beans in a net.

Is there a way to bait & lure them into a cell? I'm happy to remove anything else that gets in there, but I'd rather not tear down the entire tank.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's easiest to chase them into the net with your hand than it is to chase them around the tank with the net. If they come to the surface to feed then do that and try to get the majority in one swoop, after that you'll have to chase the into a corner where the net will be waiting to catch them.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have tanks that are heavily decorated with wood and rocks, I find using 2 nets works well or even herding them into a net with your hand.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it wont be easy, but too nets and 2 people could make it possible.

OP
KarylLena

KarylLena

Reaction score
I think I'm simply going to need to tear the tank down. That will be a project but has to be done.

Or I need to invent a fish trap for aquariums. :)

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nooo don’t tear down the tank! I find it easiest to catch with hands. You just chase one into a corner and then scoop upwards with your fingers, the water pushes them backwards into your cupped hands. It’s also easiest to do this when they’re sleeping, they’ll wake up but always seem disoriented to me. I’ve caught very easily with just a slow net scoop when they were asleep while during the day I can’t net anyone

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use two nets to catch but almost always when you have a heavily planted tank you'll have to remove some stuff to catch the fast fish

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
:mad: The joys of catching fish. I myself have destroyed a few of my creations. Over time I have found as mentioned to use the 2 net method. Along with removing at least 50 percent of the water, remove any large decorations and "Patience"
Still have a few escape artists. Works for me.
Have Fun Fishing!

OP
KarylLena

KarylLena

Reaction score
it's going to be tough with this many plants in the tank. I've tried. They sleep in the plants.
20200713_121952.jpg

jmaldo said:
:mad: The joys of catching fish. I myself have destroyed a few of my creations. Over time I have found as mentioned to use the 2 net method. Along with removing at least 50 percent of the water, remove any large decorations and "Patience"
Still have a few escape artists. Works for me.
Have Fun Fishing!
I had to dump everyone in a single tank due to another tank leaking (NOT a UNS)... the joys of this hobby.

UnknownUser

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
KarylLena said:
it's going to be tough with this many plants in the tank. I've tried. They sleep in the plants.
20200713_121952.jpg
Yep that is going to be hard.

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I caught a heap of feeders for my Jungle perch but for some reason he doesn't see them as food. I really cant be bothered to catch all these feeders and now find myself feeding them.
6ft with hood.jpg

New Threads