Help catching fish (need quick reply)

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
does anyone have any tips on catchin buenos aired tetra or and quick fish? i need to take them back to my lfs today. have been trying to catch 5 for at least an hour and only caught one... need urgent help please

thanks
jack

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Use two nets if you have them. I used to have danios and it was a major pain when I needed to take them back to the store.

I ended up putting in two nets and basically trapping them one at a time in between the nets and then quickly putting the two nets together and pulling it out of the water.

I had spent a good hour being unsuccessful and just plain terrorizing the poor things before I figured that out. I took 5 minutes to get them out after I got it down...

Hope that helps!

ShaynaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have something else that won't hurt being put into water that you could use in lieu of the 2nd net? Like maybe a laminated sheet of paper or a really big serving spoon or something?

Also, pulling the decorations out helped me. I didn't really want to do that in the beginning but they started hiding in them and it was easier for them to just come out.

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
il have a look for something instead of the net, ive moved my plants around but il try moving al of my wood to one side then try to get them to the other side. il update you on how it goes

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
couldint find anything to replace the net but i moved all of the decor to one side of the tank and now i have caught 3 2 left

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When I had to catch my african cichlids, I drained the water halfway, and put up a solid block in the middle of that tank so that they had to stay on one side only.

jack--sos

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ive done it now, just got back from dropping them off from my LFS came back with an angelfish

Thanks for the help everyone

Wyphy

Valued Member
Reaction score
You could buy a plastic holding tank like the fish stores use.
They are clear and harder for the fish to see, making it easier to chase them into it using a regular net.

Something else I've heard of was having a white/light colored net with a dark patch at the bottom to look like a hole.
This apparently makes them think they can escape so they'll try to go that way.
Thing is, I've never actually seen one anywhere.
Anyone here seen one?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom