Catappa Leaf Brands

Fiddlefish

Hello,
I have always bought Tantora's catappa leaves, but last time i ordered some from that brand, i was not sent Tantora's product. The brand i was sent is something called "OCTW" or "Tropical World." The leaves I received were quite a bit different from the Tantora leaves. a lot of them have spots and different colors, and I am not sure if they are safe to use. I will attach some images of the leaves that looked strange to me.
You must be registered to see images

let me know if those images don't work. some of the leaves have white spots, a lot have purple spots and coloration, and some have a bit of fuzzy whitish material. not sure if that's fungus?
Has anyone used these leaves, and what was your experience with them?
I am hesitant to use them because I don't know a lot about them, and when I did put some in my tank for a couple days or so, i noticed my pleco wasn't eating his food, or eating the leaves like he usually does (though, that could have been a coincidence).
I found the OCTW site online and it was hard to find and looks very unprofessional.:/
Also, what brand do you recommend for catappa leaves? Or does anyone know where I can find Tantora's catappa leaves again?
thank you!

Flyfisha

Hi Fiddlefish ,
I have seen a big variety in leaves sold in Australia. I believe they are picked up by humans at different times of the year. The trees are I believe not grown just for the purpose of picking leaf ?
I see a lot worse than that from time to time. If the leaves are collected from the ground a week or more after they fall it would explain the less than perfect presentation. As long as there are not spiders nests I don’t worry about how they look.
Some leaf is pressed flat like you can do with any leaf in a book. This seems to command the highest price.

Sorry I can’t speak about the specific brands you mention. Many bags sold in Australia literally have no brand on the plastic bag. Hopefully someone else will comment now this reply bumps this thread?

Upvote 0

Fiddlefish

Hi Fiddlefish ,
I have seen a big variety in leaves sold in Australia. I believe they are picked up by humans at different times of the year. The trees are I believe not grown just for the purpose of picking leaf ?
I see a lot worse than that from time to time. If the leaves are collected from the ground a week or more after they fall it would explain the less than perfect presentation. As long as there are not spiders nests I don’t worry about how they look.
Some leaf is pressed flat like you can do with any leaf in a book. This seems to command the highest price.

Sorry I can’t speak about the specific brands you mention. Many bags sold in Australia literally have no brand on the plastic bag. Hopefully someone else will comment now this reply bumps this thread?
Hello! thanks for your response.
That's good to know. I was unsure what type of quality is considered safe to use in the aquarium. Do you boil them before putting them in the tank to make sure they don't have any contaminants? I never used to boil my leaves because I wanted the tannins but maybe if I boil these ones for a short amount of time it would be safer to use.

That's alright. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I am just a rough Aussie I don’t boil any leaves.
As mentioned I do find spiders nests and insect cocoons in the rolled up corners of some of the cheapest leaf . I suspect the leaf is picked up from the ground in tropical northern Queensland, Australia.
I probably should rinse them with boiling water but so far I never have and as I said I have seen a lot worse.

The grey and black spots I see on the worse are I suspect from water damage on leaves that have been on the ground longer than an ideal amount of time.
If you have any doubts about the leaf you have give it a rinse in boiling water . 30 seconds in boiling water will not remove all the tannins?

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

Now what I use I forgot who’s it by I have to look later but it’s called I believe “dark water“ and it’s liquid tannins from catappa leaves
It’s by Fritz
Omg I’m so sorry it’s almond leave extract LOL ignore me!
I’m embarrassed there the same thing.... lol

Upvote 0

Fiddlefish

I am just a rough Aussie I don’t boil any leaves.
As mentioned I do find spiders nests and insect cocoons in the rolled up corners of some of the cheapest leaf . I suspect the leaf is picked up from the ground in tropical northern Queensland, Australia.
I probably should rinse them with boiling water but so far I never have and as I said I have seen a lot worse.

The grey and black spots I see on the worse are I suspect from water damage on leaves that have been on the ground longer than an ideal amount of time.
If you have any doubts about the leaf you have give it a rinse in boiling water . 30 seconds in boiling water will not remove all the tannins?
ahh thanks for the info.
i decided to rinse some in boiling water today, so i will use those and see how it goes.
Now what I use I forgot who’s it by I have to look later but it’s called I believe “dark water“ and it’s liquid tannins from catappa leaves
It’s by Fritz
Omg I’m so sorry it’s almond leave extract LOL ignore me!
I’m embarrassed there the same thing.... lol
ohh cool, I'll check that out! yeah same thing hehee

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I never mentioned Rooibus tea as a source of tannins and anti bacterial medication. It’s a different plant to ordinary tea from South Africa originally and comes recommended by Rachel O’leary among others.

Upvote 0

YellowGuppy

Yeah, brands aren't really a big factor. They're leaves. Someone picks them up, puts them in a bag, and sells them. There may be some differences in processing or quality control, as Flyfisha mentioned, but they're all the same biological product.

I wouldn't boil them; you'll lose much of the benefit of having them. If you aren't convinced of their cleanliness, a quick rinse with cold water to remove any visible debris (I've had some with sand on them) should be sufficient. I ship mine directly from an overseas supplier, so by the time I get them they've been in an envelope on a boat for 40+ days, so there isn't much chance of most things being alive on them, so contamination risk is pretty low.

Upvote 0

Fiddlefish

thanks for the replies everyone!!
I used some the leaves I had after sanitizing them with boiling water for a bit and everything is going fine with them so far.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bluestreakfl
Replies
Views
Heather L
Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies