Funny Cat Fish.

MissNoodle

Was playing with my cats with their laser pointer...

Well curiosity hit.

mattgirl

I had to call hubby in to see this one. I never would have thought fish would do this but I guess they might hathought it was some fast moving food

MissNoodle

mattgirl said:
I had to call hubby in to see this one. I never would have thought fish would do this but I guess they might hathought it was some fast moving food
I almost wanna sneak a laser pointer into the local petsmart now and see their fish reactions haha

They were going nuts for it. Though I thought the tetras would react but nah

kallililly1973

That's great. I have an infrared temp gun so I can measure the tank water and faucet water during WC's and i've seen my guppies, serpaes and vonrios all give it a quick chase. Could be a good workout for them :)

jake37

More scientifically it would be interesting to test with different colours. I noticed when I feed my fishes flakes (I'm trying to ween them to pellets); they pick the flakes by colour - I have no clue if the colours actually impact the taste (I suspect not); but some of them refuse to eat the green one and others refuse to eat the red ones. Sadly they are not in the same tank....
-
The thing is that I'm pretty sure fishes are colour blind.... so maybe it is dark vs light or maybe they really do taste differently.

Corydork

jake37 said:
More scientifically it would be interesting to test with different colours. I noticed when I feed my fishes flakes (I'm trying to ween them to pellets); they pick the flakes by colour - I have no clue if the colours actually impact the taste (I suspect not); but some of them refuse to eat the green one and others refuse to eat the red ones. Sadly they are not in the same tank....
-
The thing is that I'm pretty sure fishes are colour blind.... so maybe it is dark vs light or maybe they really do taste differently.
I might just try that...
Food coloring isn’t toxic to fish, right?

MissNoodle

Corydork said:
I might just try that...
Food coloring isn’t toxic to fish, right?
Not 100% sure... maybe less organic dyes aren't so good. I know Victoria green/malachite green is toxic in certain amounts but I don't believe that is used as a food dye. But I did a project back in the day on dyes and what many are made out of... some are made from algaes, insects, plants, and such. Id think many of these wouldnt be so toxic.

That said, I think the green in the flakes may be more on the vegetarian side, from spirulina where the red flakes are usually seafood like krill. If its an omnivore mix, itd make sense for both flakes to be a part of it.

jake37

I'm not sure - I have both tetra flakes and spirulina 20 flakes in front of me - tetra of course has lots of colour flakes (red,green,yellowish); but the spirulina 20 is uniform colour of mostly greyish. Also I had two things of omega one (both were the same 'type' ) but one looked like tetra food all different colours while the other all the flakes were red (the fishes refused to eat the red 'stuff' so I tossed it but it was also a year out of date - it was provided with an order I had place; the other was store brought). What MissNoodle said made sense but it begs the question. I can say that the fishes seem to prefer spirulina 20 in part because the flakes are so soft; I don't like spirulina 20 because the flakes break down very quickly into small pieces and it is messy in the water.
-
Anyway I couldn't find any proof that flakes do or do not contain food colouring but i'm not sure.

MissNoodle said:
Not 100% sure... maybe less organic dyes aren't so good. I know Victoria green/malachite green is toxic in certain amounts but I don't believe that is used as a food dye. But I did a project back in the day on dyes and what many are made out of... some are made from algaes, insects, plants, and such. Id think many of these wouldnt be so toxic.

That said, I think the green in the flakes may be more on the vegetarian side, from spirulina where the red flakes are usually seafood like krill. If its an omnivore mix, itd make sense for both flakes to be a part of it.

CoryBoi

I must admit I have done this with my infrared thermometer!

jkkgron2

Time to get out the laser!

Top Bottom