Cat Fish???

Kaiseroll4

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a catfish to keep my tank clean that will be able to survive with cichlids. I had two cory cats bite the dust after about a month and I don't want to have the same problem again.

The cichlids that will be sharing the tank space are an electric yellow and a krib. Other noteables are a small pack of tiger barbs and 2 bala sharks. My tank is 29 gallons

please help ???

kaiser

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well first, bala sharks can get to 13 inches, and the tank you have is to small for them, so you should either return them to the store or give them to someone. Second, when you say a pack of tiger bars, how many would that be? And finally, electric yellows have different ph requirements than the other fish, and are very aggresive, so you may want to get rid of him to. If you do all this, you should have no problems adding 4-6 cory cats.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I might hesitantly recommend upside down catfish, but I am not sure how they'll get along with the sharks. Dubious but might be worth a try. You could also not go wrong with a pleco, maybe a smaller kind given the number of fish you'd have.

Yeah, corys are not equipped to handle the kind of fish you have, they're fairly peaceful and too small to be real competition or able to defend themselves well.

Kaiseroll4

Reaction score
Hey Skudunkedunk,

How bout i get rid of all my fish and get a pet rock. My electric yellow gets picked on more by my krib than it picks on any of the other fish (and it is the biggest in the tank). Second, my bala sharks are very small right now, and I'm planning on gettin a larger tank as needed, once I get further into the Hobby. Remember, this is the freshwater for beginners section, not the freshwater know it all more than you i think I'm sweet section. Third, My Cory cats got killed by the krib before i got the electric yellow which, from my research is one of the less aggressive cichlids out there.

Next time you try to flex your knowledge muscle about fish, maybe do it to someone on a freshwater for people who know less than you forum, not a freshwater for beginners forum.

Nice screen name by the way. Your friends in your internet chat room will never believe how funny you were in your post.

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
And you don't know everything about fish either, so why are you complaining about me? I gave you my honest opinion. At least I was nice enough to try to help.

Jayne

Reaction score
You could try a Synodontis Petricola catfish, they are suitable for community or cichlid tanks... they are a lovely catfish which do not get too huge.
Jane

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
upside down catfish would be pretty cool. They look cool when they are swimming at least, and will help clean

WSG

Reaction score
you could also try a bullhead catfish. I just recently purchased one to put into my chcilid tank when i get it fully set up.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WSG said:
you could also try a bullhead catfish. I just recently purchased one to put into my chcilid tank when i get it fully set up.
Um... Out of curiosity, is this a different bullhead catfish than what lives in lakes and streams and whatnot in Minnesota? We've got a bullhead here that's part of the catfish family, but it's not an aquarium fish, unless you've got a huge aquarium. I used to fish for the things, and the small ones were about six inches long, and much bulkier than most aquarium fish. Some five to ten pounders have been caught around here in the past. They do start out minnow-size, but grow up quickly.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom