Cat Fish Compatible Cichlids?

cichlidtankowner

Hello, I have a 60 gallon tank and would like to add some catfish to my cichlids tank and would only prefer to go to somewhere like petco or pet smart (because of availability) so I would like to know if any one could tell me a few types of cat fish or a common species that would be compatible with cichlids or should I just buy snails?

Aquaphobia

What kind of cichlids, Old World or New World?

Welcome to the forum!

cichlidtankowner

They are African

Coleslaw

It depends on what types of cichlids. If you're doing Africans, no catfish will be able to work because They are so aggressive. If you do New World cichlids such as South American cichlids you have to be careful that no fish can fit in its mouth because they will eat it. If you're looking for cichlids that will work with catfish your best option is probably angelfish. Make sure not to put any fast moving in the fin nippers in the tank

TexasDomer

Why do you want to add catfish? Because you like them or because you want a clean up crew?

You can keep some catfish with African cichlids. Synodontis and some plecos are fine in most cases.

Aquaphobia

Pretty sure that some of the Plecos and things like Raphael catfish are armoured and tough enough to handle cichlids.

Dubai Cichlids

Catfish like pleco are living happily in my tank.

However I tried to add red tail catfish and after a month the catfish started to eat my fish. After 2 incidents I have just taken it out.

So choose the cat fish wisely. Something with a small mouth and small size overall.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom