Cat Drank Prime Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mithe, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Mithe

Mithe Valued Member Member

I was preparing water for my tank and I had a bucket of tap water that I had just added some Prime to. I went to grab something, came back, and one of my cats was drinking the water. I had not been in the aquarium or ever had fish in it, just water with a drop of prime to it. Do you think there's any reason to be concerned? I get worried about these things, so wanted to ask.

Thank you!

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Based on how much tank water one of my cats drinks, I would say, No.

3. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

If you've got a good vet you might be able to call and ask, making sure to tell him it's just aquarium water, and not like he got into the whole bottle of Prime. This got me curious so I did some Googling. Someone actually posted SeaChem's OSHA MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on another forum. Under the Emergency and First Aid Procedures ‘in case of ingestion’ section, it says -Give several glasses of water to drink to dilute. If large amounts were swallowed, get medical advice.- So it doesn't sound like Seachem thinks it's terribly toxic.

Original forum post-

If it's an outdoor cat I'd keep it in so it can be observed for any potential symptoms.

4. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

No issues unless they drank from the bottle itself. I use Prime to dechlorinate my lizard's water and my beetles' water when I'm in a pinch and have had no issues. Also use it when dechlorinating the water in the turtle tank.

Your cat will be fine.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

My cat is constantly after tank water. Either from the tanks, from buckets during wc or the pitchers when filling. So long as it wasn't straight up prime cat should be fine if she got a couple slurps down. I would not allow her to drink it like that regularly though just out of an abundance of caution, maybe toss a towel over it if you leave it unsupervised for a period of time.

6. OP
    OP
    Mithe

Mithe Valued Member Member

Thanks for all the positive vibes. She's doing fine. She slept most of the day but doesn't appear to have any symptoms. Sorry for the false alarm!

7. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Your cat will be ok. It's just free of chlorine now xD Seeiously though, my dog has an affinity for frogbit (don't ask!) and is always sneaking around my tanks eating the frogbit and lapping up some water. Never had a problem :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice