Casual Rookie 29 Gal

default-fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AN: alright so this is going to be more of a blog over the life of a new tank i'm planning to get! ill be updating this with all my ramblings about it. please feel free to add suggestions and opinions to my ideas, id love to hear them!

well spring was supposed to be here (stupid michigan) but I got the fever and did some spring cleaning for my room, and woah! I now have space for a whole new tank setup. I haven't had a tank over 10 gallons yet and I needed a new home for my Rasboras...

cue in a few weeks, I will be receiving my friend's old 29 gallon tank (with a stand, woohoo!) to make it into my own little haven. i'm planning to buy new equipment for it so it can run super smooth! I already know I'm going to use an Aquaclear HOB filter, and all the other equipment I will probably just end up choosing along the way.

as I was researching filters and the like, I also started thinking about aquascapes. mostly I was thinking, "How the heck am I going to make this thing look unique and creative???" I started looking up pictures of planted aquariums and taking mental notes, and building ideas in my head. eventually, I started to sketch some of these out.

I made all of these with the idea of using Seachem Flourite Black Sand! I haven't gotten to use sand in any of my tanks yet, and after some quick research it seems using that kind has more benefits than regular sand.

full.png

this was my first idea, and I rather like it! a canyon with a mossy driftwood arch , framed by tall plants on the right, and short carpet or midground plants. complete a little cave on the left side would be perfect for any little bottomdwellers I add looking for a place to escape. after thinking, sadly, I thought it was too crowded for a 29 gallon, so maybe I should revisit this idea if I get something bigger.

full.png

shortly, I decided to scrap the canyon idea for the moment. I kept the idea of the cave and driftwood. I also started to label things for my sake. I really liked the idea of the driftwood being held up by its branches, making a cool looking forest part under it. I feel its a bit lacking with background plants, but I don't know very many species outside the few I mention in this I ill blame it on that, haha

full.png

basically a different version of the previous idea. after seeign some pretty sweet tanks with slate caves, i'd thought itd be cool to change my cave into one. but that's not all, what if I buried it halfway under the substrate???? wow! I also really liked the idea of adding lilies on top to make it seem mysterious and shaded. I don't know anything about plants so each one is just modeled after what I already own in my other tanks haha

full.png

and now, something completely different! a rock centerpiece idea built around the idea of "ruins" and "age", hence the extra rocks and the buried driftwood. not sure how I feel about this composition in general

and last but not least....
full.png

the exact same thing as the first three ideas, but this time with buried driftwood! I also added the concept of different colored substrate in the cave. I didnt draw any plants as this would allow me to just add plants to my pleasure. still not sure on the composition though, it looks mostly boring (maybe I should have added some green haha)

honestly though, I still have no idea what i'm going to go through with. I'm quite attached to the idea of a cave though, so maybe building something around that is a step in the right direction. I also need more plant ideas haha

OP
default-fish

default-fish

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
just remembered I still have a bag of potting mix leftover from when I set up a planted bowl for my mom. I won't put any in the 29 gal (I want it to be a more permanent fixture) but I might put my cories temporarily in the 29 so I can rescape my 10 gal into a NTP. cool!

New Threads