Cast resin decor

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Merri68, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

Are all cast resin statues safe? Or is there a certain kind of resin for aquariums? I have a beautiful, stone colored, (not painted) statue I would love to use in my tank, but I am afraid to try it. Is there some way to test the material without exposing my fish to harmâť“

2. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome. I am not sure about your question but for me personally, I like to use only aquarium use approved products with the exception of unglazed clay plant pots.

3. Kasye

Kasye Valued Member Member

One thing you can do to test it to fill a container with water and soak the statue in the water for a period of time (at least a week I'd say) and test the water parameters to see if it's leeching anything into the water.

Doesn't guarantee everything (like toxins that wouldn't affect parameters), but it's one way to test it. You could also coat the statue in aquarium-safe silicone to make it aquarium safe.

4. OP
    OP
    Merri68

Merri68 Valued Member Member

Hmmmm. I really don't want to hurt my tank's tenants. A coating might wear off.. And even if I test the water after soaking the statue.. It's no guarantee that I wouldn't lose a fish or two after actually putting the statue in the tank. Perhaps that statuary is best left on its shelf. Darn it

I have chemical sensitivities myself. I wouldnt wish chemical exposure repercussions on anyone, human or fish.

Thanks for kicking me in my consciencesomething fish saafe will pop up sooner or lafer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice