Case Of The Missing Timor Wrasse

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So the power went out last night about 1am and my sump over flowed about 2 gallons.
Power came back on before i got woken up by my roomate and he was already mopping it up. I had to make 2 gallons on water up and added it to the sump/tank to be able to restart the circulation.
Got it all flowing again, didnt even think about the lone timor wrasse i have in there. Go back to sleep
Wake up in the morning, feed coral, fish is nowhere to be seen but this was usual for 7am. I didnt see him until i got bacm from work around 4 usually and i would feed him then.
This time i got home and still no fish.
I think ok maybe hes still hiding.
So i move all the live rock and look in the holes and caves.
No fish.
Rearrange the whole tank.
No fish.

Long story short i think it jumped out and my roomates cat ate it.
No proof tho.

R.I.P. Sid the destroyer.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
XD
Yeah i chalked it up as a loss.
The cat was also super interested in the floor around the tank for a while when i was investigating.
Pretty sure he chowed it and wanted another lol.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SID THE DESTROYER LIVES!!!!!

Somehow.. i dont even know how this is even possible.
5 days later after removing every rock from the tank and rearranging everything.. i get back from work today and theres Sid.
Like nothing happened.
No damage. Doesnt look skinny.
I fed him some mysis shrimp and he gobbled them up.

Im speachless

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's crazy! But it's great news! Dang I'm glad he made it, I wonder how he hid for five whole days... fish are nuts

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know i cant believe it.
Hes a good 3.5 inches and the rock he must of been hiding in isnt exactly that big. He must of found a hidden cave.
Also i noticed a mound of sand behind the rock. He might be digging a lair.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That would be pretty cool. I'm glad you found him, most of the time when I come on this site it's all bad news in the updates, it's great to have some good news like yours. I'm glad your wrasse is fine.

JoeCamaro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Great!
I don't know how fish do that, but sometimes it seems they disappear/appear out of thin air.
I am glad Sid is ok.

SecretiveFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Glad you found him! Wrasses are ninjas... I had a melanurus wrasse that I as sure had died appear weeks later. He was funny, he had a specific bed time after which you would not see a single scale of him (no idea wherehe went to bed, the tank isn't that big!).

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys yep hes all good.
Hes disappeared again now so i guess he must have a spot.
My tanks a 55 gallon but its pretty bare.
Only 10 pounds of live rock and sand.
He definitely has a bed time. Its when the lights go off lol hes gone, cant find him at all i even removed all the insulation i had around the tank and still cant see him.
Oh well sneaky git lol

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yeah hes back to hiding again. Day 2 now.
Maybe theres something wrong?
What could cause him to hide like this?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The first thing that comes to mind is aggression, but I wouldn't be very good at determining what might be causing it. Any sudden shifts in parameters, from temperature to ammonia, could also cause it. That's all I can think of off the top of my head....

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hes the only fish so hes not getting bullied.
I did a little reading and people have had wrasses hide for up to 3 weeks in the sand so im a bit more at ease

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh interesting. I hope it turns out to be normal behavior, that would suck if something went wrong after you thought you lost him. Guess they're kinda like freshwater mystery snails, I had one that wasn't hiding, but straight up didn't move at all for three weeks when I first got him... thought I bought a dead snail at first. Good luck though, I'm sure it will turn out to be nothing

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sand burying wrasses are very interesting. I have a juvie melanurus that I was sure got buried under rock after I added another 50lbs and we had to re-arrange everything. A few hours later and it comes poking it's head out through a new cave. He adjusted quickly and has been fine ever since.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ive been looking and cant even see his face or snout poking out of the sand. Oh well lol

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ive been looking and cant even see his face or snout poking out of the sand. Oh well lol
You would be amazed at how they can make themselves disappear. When I transferred my juvie melanarus wrasse from my 36 to my current 90 there was just a little sand in the bag and it managed to find a way to bury itself in the sand in the bag and be completely invisible. It doesn't take much for them to hide.

Taylorbudd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well i have 3 to 4 inches of sand so he definitely has enough cover lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom