Cascade canister filters...

1. beau Well Known Member Member

Are they any good?

I'm looking for filtration for two 75gal tanks. One will be a general community, and one will be for fancy goldfish. I'd like to be over filtered, not under filtered, so I'm aiming for a minimum of 5x gph.

The Cascade filters are so affordable that I could easily buy two of the 1000's or of the 1200's for each tank, but I can't find much in the way of reviews for them? The only complaints I've read (from some really old FishLore posts) was that there is some issue with water bypassing the filter media. How serious is this? I'm new to canisters so I'm not sure. Other than that all I could find was one part oxidized after 7 years, which I'm not too concerned about.

The other option I was looking at was the API Filstar XP-L for the community and the XP-XL for the Goldie tank, but I came across some bad reviews - things like priming is brutal and the hoses that come with it are hard to fit on and too short. Is this true? These are the baseline for my budget though, the one costing $200 and the other $250. I can't find any combination of Fluval's or Eheim's with an appropriate gph that comes even close to that.

I've also looked at SunSun, but have read they don't hold up for long term use.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

Wish i could help :( only a Fluval canister owner here. previously Ive had the 206, 306, 406 and now the Fx6. Other than hearing great things from Enhiem users or the occasional SunSun owners. I've never heard of cascade. Not always but for the most part you do get what you pay for. Cheaper doesnt always mean a good deal and on the same note, expensive doesn't always mean better ..looking at you Fluval G6.

3. beau Well Known Member Member

What size tank did you use the 406 on? I'd definitely be interested in it, I just wasn't sure it would be strong enough. And then obviously the Fx6 would be a little overkill and a little expensive lol.

4. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

beau I had it on my 65 bowfront. Sure it's a bit overkill but I like over filtration :) You could adjust the flow by pullling slight back on the cut off lever. It was quiet, easy enough to prime and had quite enough room for extra media.

When I upgraded to a 125 gallon planted tank I still used the 406 to just run the 6 foot long DIY drip bar I made. Now that I've converted the tank into a standard aquarium I upped the filtration to the Fx6

Plus most places where I'm at carry Fluval parts in abundance. To be honest..knock on wood, I've never had a Fluval break down.

5. beau Well Known Member Member

Dondomingo - the original idea was that these tanks were going to be one single 120gal, and in that case I would have used the Fx6. After doing some more planning I found I could set up both the Goldie's and the planted community for the same price as the single 120 lol.

As of right now I'm thinking I'll go with a 406 for each tank, and if I find the filtration is a little lower than what I'd like I can add a cheap Cascade or SunSun in the future. I was also recommended the Eheim Eco Pro filters, which I'm currently looking into... The Goldie tank probably won't be setup until Christmas or sometime in the new year, and the community will be sometime after that, so I have plenty of time to decide!

6. Dondomingo Well Known Member Member

Good point, not to mention dr.fosters and smith usually has a 50% off sale once a year and smaller sales other times. Not exactly sure if they ship to Canada though. Sounds like you have a great plan and plenty of time to expand and change ideas.

I have to mention before the 406 on the bowfront, when I upgraded that tank from a 40 gallon. At the very beginning I was using two hobs and a 206 (or 306 can't remember) until I got tired of the sound of waterfalls in my front room. Regardless it worked. The hobs and albeit smaller cannister provided more than enough filtration, aeration and water movement.

Regardless good luck and hope to see pictures soon.

7. ChrisTX Initiate Member

I have the Cascade 700. Working good so far. It does have the water bypassing problem, but it is easily fixed by wrapping some filter floss around the bottom tray or a several trays if you want.

8. beau Well Known Member Member

Thank you! How long have you been running it for?

9. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I run a sunsun 403 myself and am about to set up a 75 gallon that will have a 403 and a 404 running on it. I'm a fan of the brand myself. I've never had any issues out of the 403 and only clean it out about once every 2 months. I've been running the 403 for over a year (probably not enough to comment on long term sustainability) but it hasn't missed a beat so far.

10. ChrisTX Initiate Member

A month or so. The 700 only has 2 trays, which isn't ideal, but I wanted one that would fit inside my stand. I might add another though.

11. Flare4123 Initiate Member

I also have a cascade, its only a 500 though since I only have a 20gal.
    It also only has 2 trays and I could see there being an issue with water flowing around the trays instead of through it, but honestly I feel since the amount of space is very negligible imo .

I also like over filtration but I'm not gonna nitpick about small amount that does get through.

12. musserump09 Well Known Member Member

I got one and I love it! I got it running with the filter that came with the tanks.