Cascade 1000

Charlesjsk14

Reaction score
Hey guys so I just set up a 100 gallon Aquarium and I got the cascade 1000, I tried to get it to prime for about an hour but couldn’t get it to fill. The directions said I could also fill the canister with water 3/4th of the way then hit the prime button fast 5-6 times then plug it in. I let it run for about five minutes but it still won’t start, any suggestions?

bendresbach

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You gotta prime em like there is no tomorrow if you have clear tubing or semI transparent press it incrementallly until water is flowing through one tube and out the other

Took me a hour on my first try too I had the priming problem

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming you double checked the valves were open, correct?

Try filling the canister with some more water.

It may also take more than 5-6 pumps of the primer plunger to get it to prime for the first time.

Also, ensure all of the hose connections are secure and snug without leaks to the air, especially on the intake hose connections.

Is this the only filter for the 100g?

OP
C

Charlesjsk14

Reaction score
Islandvic said:
Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming you double checked the valves were open, correct?

Try filling the canister with some more water.

It may also take more than 5-6 pumps of the primer plunger to get it to prime for the first time.

Also, ensure all of the hose connections are secure and snug without leaks to the air, especially on the intake hose connections.

Is this the only filter for the 100g?
Yeah I double checked to make sure both valves were open and connected correctly for the intake and out take, right now the the cascade is the only filter going till I get my Fluval fixed, then I’ll be running both. I'm just trying to get some filtration going for the time being so I can get it to start cycling. I eventually want to do a Cichlid tank. I’m going to try and get it primed again tomorrow, I’ll keep you guys updated later and thanks for the help!

Donthemon

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Try pumping it a dozen times before you plug it it. Then pump a bunch more. All of a sudden it will go

Homeslice

Well Known
Reaction score
I can confirm what others have said on the prining, it can be a real bear. Sometimes I have to turn the canisters literally upside down or in their sides to get them to start pumping then very slowly begin tilting them right side up, you will see and feel the air begin to sliwly bleed out.

Cichlidude

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A Cascade 1000 is only 265 gph for that 100 gallon tank.

The general rule of thumb is your fish tank should turn over your water volume at least 4x per hour for best efficiency. Considering loss from head pump lift (canisters typically 3-4 feet: 7-13% head loss alone), now add filter media baskets, tubing length, U bends from the input tube and output tubes or even the 90 degree bend for your spray bar, add your filter media jam packed with course, medium, fine pads, bio ceramic rings, hard media like Matrix, Biohome or Marine Pure Balls and now it gets dirty and clogged in weeks. Your flow rated is reduced to about 50-60% or more. This is why you would get a filter running at 8-10x your flow rate to bring you down to the recommended 4x flow.

With that said...

Your 100 gallon tank is going to need about 800-1000 gph to work at efficiency. Which means you will most likely need two (2) 500 gph filters or one large filter.

New Threads