Cascade 1000..help? - Page 2

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, I'm really now!! I got the filter working great, then after about an hour, it just randomly shut off completely. I unplugged it and tried plugging it into a different socket, but to no avail. I had to go to work at that point, so I left it unplugged and figured I'd work on it when I got home. Well, I got home about 10 minutes ago and plugged in the filter, just for grins and giggles. Low and behold, it started right up and worked great...for about two minutes! Then it completely shut off again! While it was running this time (didn't happen before), it was really noisy, like a HOB is when there's no water in it or it's trying to suck water and the impeller is dry. So, I unplugged it and opened the top (I understand what you mean now about having a towel under it! :O ). I started poking around and reached up into the hole where the impeller is supposed to be (it's the smaller hole near the edge of the motor housing, correct)...and it's empty. Could that be causing it to run noisy and then shut off like that?

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since I couldn't find any useful pics of the motor side I am going to base it off mine.

Ours has an empty hole and one that appears to have a grill on it to keep your fingers out. The impeller is behind the grill on ours.

You should have 2 holes though, one for intake which is more likely the empty one. You said you had suction and it was working briefly. Even a short while of it working would "imo" tell me you aren't missing anything, just something isn't working correctly.

Could be questionable wires, motor, impeller may be getting stuck for whatever reason, lose suction and motor gets too hot and shuts down... could be a number of things.

Does it look like there is any broken pieces in the filter media or in that hole? When you put that retainer ring back on, did it all go on without force or did it seem really snug? The impeller may not have been seated correctly so it isn't spinning straight (if that makes sense).

When you say shut off, you mean no power, dead to the world? Or is there a low hum like the motor might be trying to work?

**edit**

Could you take pictures of the motor unit, top and bottom, where the impeller is.. etc? or hopefully Shawnie can jump in to save the day. I am out of resources since I don't own one. Wish I could be more help.

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
When I put the impeller retainer back on, it slid on very easily and I made sure it was firmly seated. I didn't notice any broken pieces near the motor or anything (I didn't remove the media baskets, though). There are two holes in the bottom of the motor housing. One of the holes is larger and in the middle, which I am pretty sure is where the water comes in from the tank (forgive me for not being technical...I had about two hours of sleep last night). The second hole is smaller and situated toward the corner of the motor housing, directly above the impeller retainer that I took a pic of.

When I say "shut off," I mean completely dead. No sound, no suction, no vibration, nada. It sits there like it isn't plugged in. I tried plugging it in this morning (since itseemed to work after being shut off for a few hours yesterday) and nothing happened.

Sorry for the quality of the pics...all I have is my cell phone.

This first one is the bigger of the two holes. Now that I look at it more closely (as I said, I more poked around before, didn't really look), I think this might be where the impeller is.
416.jpg

The second one is a shot of the whole bottom of the motor housing. The smaller hole is the one that sits directly above the impeller retainer, so that's why I thought it was where the impeller goes.
418.jpg

The last one is of the motor housing next to the top media basket that has the impeller retainer.
420.jpg

I emailed Penn-Plax to see if they could help me. Hopefully I don't have to replace anything.

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I went back to the manual. Step 19 shows impeller maintenance.
422.jpg

If it isn't even making any noise though, that makes me believe the motor may be dead. If you wiggle the power cable around (while plugged in), does it do anything?

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Haven't tried wiggling the power cable....okay, just tried wiggling the power cable while plugged in AND took out the impeller and put it back in. Nada. I think I killed it. :'(

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh noes!, rip the new to you filter. Maybe it is why the people were selling it? They were already having some issues with it and though they could sell it.

Also, saltwater can wreak havoc on equipment if not maintained. If it just sat on all the equipment, the saltwater may have damaged it, then trying to use it finished it off. I am not a saltwater person/expert but have seen what saltwater can do. This one may be off, but thought of it as a possibility.

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They're getting rid of all their fish stuff because it belonged to their son, who moved away to college and couldn't take it with him, and he's getting out of the hobby for now. Hopefully this other filter they're going to sell me this weekend (after he finds all the parts and gets them together) will work out better.

Here's my plan now, depending on the cost of a new motor for this Cascade. I'm going to put this Cascade into storage until such time as I can afford to buy a new motor or I can buy another canister filter. I'm going to put the canister filter I'm buying from them this weekend (I would be willing to bet it's another Cascade, but I know it's rated for AT LEAST 70 gallons because he had a 60gal saltwater set up) on the 55gal. Then the Penguin 170 that's on the 55gal right now is going to go on the 29gal paludarium for my son (originally the second canister was going to go on this tank). If/when I can get this first canister repaired, it'll go onto the 29gal instead. *sigh* Today has NOT been a good day.

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like a busy day moving all that stuff around. Good Luck and sorry to hear about the filter. -Maybe the saltwater damaged some of the equipment if they never cleaned it?

has the motor unit for $54 with free shipping (Free if order is over $49)

has the whole filter for $90 +$12 to ship.

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, outlaw! It'll have to wait for a while since I don't have a steady source of income (unless you count the $25 I get every three weeks to clean an older couple's house), but I'm going to be starting giving piano lessons here very soon, so hopefully I can get that motor. I like the Better Homes and Gardens deal (free shipping...can't beat that!).

I have a different, slightly related question now. I definitely want to use the spray bar in both tanks. The "problem" is that in the 29gal, the spray bar is pretty much as long as the tank is wide. I want the spray bar to extend across the whole tank (for the effect I'm creating...I'm doing a waterfall going down the back wall into the water and the spray bar will facilitate that perfectly), but it won't fit with the U-bend pipe and elbow bend pipe assembly that it comes with. So, my question is two-fold...can I trI'm the spray bar so that it'll fit in the 29gal...and, do I have to use the U-bend pipe, or can I just use the elbow bend pipe?

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No reason you can't cut the spray bar to length. Obviously though, you can't go backwards once cut.

If your cutting the spray bar, would that then allow the U-bend to fit? I believe the main function of the U-bend is to keep the spray bar in the tank.

Something like this if it makes sense:
442.jpg

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm not talking about the big U-bend pipe that attaches to the hose. There's another simple U-bend pipe that attaches to the big U-bend pipe, so it creates kind of an S shape.

In this pic, it's the set of pipes that is in the very front on the left. This pic has the U-bend pipe and the elbow bend pipe connected already, but they come apart.
444.jpg

I want to forego that short U-bend and just put in the elbow bend, then shorten the spray bar by about 3".

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh ok, like a goose neck for a sink or toilet. Unless there is something in the manual that specifically says you have to use it, I don't see why you couldn't remove it from the line. As long as the elbow has a solid fit into the U-Bend, it should work fine without it. Ours doesn't have that, just the hose > U-Bend > elbow > spray bar.

They may have that second U-Bend to bring the spray bar back up near the top of the tank. If I rest the U-Bend on the back of the tank, the spray bar isn't close enough to the waters surface for agitation. I used zip-ties to bring it up and keep the spray bar near the surface. I can post a pic if you want.

Hope most of this made sense

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It did make sense. I don't think the second U-bend is there to bring the spray bar back up near the top of the tank as you suggested because it's the exact same length on either side. Hrm. The only reason I'm "concerned" is because I'm trying to figure out how I should build my rock wall for the back of the tank. I will probably end up mocking up the spray bar and intake tube when I get that elbow pipe from the people so that I can see how it'll work.

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
bassbonediva said:
It did make sense. I don't think the second U-bend is there to bring the spray bar back up near the top of the tank as you suggested because it's the exact same length on either side. Hrm.
Oh, from the picture with the elbow on it looks like they wouldn't be the same, but you have it there. If you are going to cut the hose to size you can use the left overs from that as the spray bar. Just have to put holes in it. You would be able to route as needed through your rock wall.

Make sure to post pics when you start!

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ooooooo! That's an awesome idea about the hose! I'll have to see if it'll work (when I cut the hoses to size for the 55gal, I had A LOT left over because my 55gal only sits about 17" off the floor, so I could mock it up with that). Thanks! x

Oh, I definitely will do pics! I'm probably going to start it tonight and I'll have my dad's camera anyway 'cuz I need to take pics of my newest addition (male blue butterfly multI halfmoon betta named "Amun") and of my 55gal for my journal on that tank (it's for a school project).

In fact...here's the first pic of it...just the tank on the stand, but I redid the stand to match the decor of my son's room (the movie Cars...my son just turned six and this is his birthday present...he's coming to visit next weekend, so it has to be at least mostly set up by then).
446.jpg

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Np for the hose idea! Every once in a while the hamster is able to make the bulb light up!

not going to lie here but Betta's aren't my cup-o-tea. Their colors are awesome and I hear they have great personalities but there is just something about them I can't get past. I do go into the Betta section to look at everyones pictures though.

Stand looks cool and that is a good choice for theme. Cars is a good movie, I've actually watched it more times then our kids. lol

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hehe. I used to hate bettas. My parents bought me one, along with two neons, to put into a 1gal aquarium I bought when I was about 10. Yeah, the betta killed and ate the neons in less than an hour. So, for the longest time, I hated them. Then, when I was in college and later when I was divorced and living in an apartment and couldn't have dogs or cats, fish were the only thing available to me. So, I bought a Hex5 and a betta and the rest, as they say, is history. I actually just lost my original betta, Al, last month.

Anyway...lol @ the hamster comment!

outlaw

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry to hear about Al.

Hopefully the other filter will turn out to be better working.

OP
bassbonediva

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay...I'm thorougly confused now...but happily confused! lol

I have been emailing Penn-Plax ever since I got this filter. First I emailed them about getting the instruction manual for the filter. Then, I emailed for help because it would create suction. So, on Friday, I emailed them saying that I thought maybe the impeller was missing (as it turned out, it was there, I just killed the motor). I got an email from the yesterday asking if the filter did indeed have the impeller. I emailed them back and told them that I was mistaken and that the filter did indeed have the impeller, but that I had killed the motor. I got an email from them this morning stating that if I provide them with a mailing address, they'll send a new motor out to me ASAP. I emailed them back and asked how much it would cost (and included my mailing address just in case). I didn't get a response on price, but got another email stating that they received my mailing address and that they'd get the motor sent out ASAP. I ran the email by a couple of friends (one of whom works in a billing department) and they both said that if they were going to charge me for the motor, they would have had to state that in the correspondence. So, am I correct in assuming that I'm getting a new motor for my Cascade for free?!?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
if you didnt send any bank info, paypal info etc, yes you are getting it for free....I'm thinking after this thread, your good deal wasn't so good ....its going to be a tough cookie putting a motor in it yourself if figuring how to run it is tough....

New Threads