Cascade 1000..help?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by bassbonediva, Mar 16, 2010.

1. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

So, I just got a smokin' deal on a complete good-as-new Cascade 1000 canister filter. Paid $20 for the whole thing. :D Anyway, I just looked through the box and it didn't come with a manual. I have never worked with a canister filter before, so this is completely new to me. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the manual for this filter? I tried googling it, but didn't come up with anything I could use. :;dk Thanks!!

2. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

Hopefully this will help... They give an email address and telephone number, but their instruction link requires a login. See if they can either send you a manual or allow access to their instruction area to help you.

3. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

if that link doesnt help, let me know and I can take pics of each page of mine and send them to you ...great price btw!!

4. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

On that page, in the smaller print it says to use the username 'instructions' then click login. I did it and was able to find the filter manual. :D Looks like quite a bit of detail too. Once you're logged in: Instruction_Sheets > Aquarium > Filters > Select your filter (700-1000.pdf)

Not sure if this will help either. https://www.fishlore.com/ER_PennPlax_Cascade.htm

It's a small review with pictures for the slightly smaller 700 series.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Thanks, guys! I emailed them last night (didn't see the link until WAY after I posted this thread) and they emailed me a copy of the instruction sheet this morning. :)

My only real issue with setting this thing up is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to open the locking clips. I can one set of them open, but the other set is turning out to be a bit harder. That second set is laughing at me, I swear! I know it opens, though, 'cuz the people I bought it from said that they cleaned out the inside while they were making sure it worked.

6. outlaw

from a picture it looks like the two (on either side of the inlet/outlet) open by lifting out and up. The 2 bigger ones (next to inlet/outlet and across from it) open by pushing the bottom in towards the canister.

It's small but all I could find.
    [​IMG]

not sure if this helps any either.

I'm sure Shawnie will be posting and be able to tell you exactly what to do seeing as she owns one. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. Shawnie

:;nw no need for me to post! you covered it just perfectly!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Yeah, it's those two bigger ones that are giving me the problems. lol! I really want to get this filter set up because I might be getting another one (the people had two, but the second one was still in pieces scattered in their son's closet, and I won't have the money for it until Saturday) and I want to be able to set it up without any problems.

AH-HA!! I got it! I got frusterated and just started pushing and pulling (not the best way, I know) and I got it off! SQUEE!! lol

Oh, wow! This thing seriously needs to be cleaned! Looks like the kid used it for saltwater for a while, but let the water evaporate out of the filter instead of dumping it and cleaning it. There's even a butterfly wing in one of the media trays! Oh, well, the adventure begins!
    308.jpg
    So, I have another question...It has the black course filter sponge thing and a bag of carbon, but that's it. Do I need the floss pad that is indicated in the instructions? I know I can get regular filter floss and use that, but could I just use clean cotton batting instead (I think I've heard somewhere of using cotton batting instead of filter floss as a cheaper alternative)? Also, I want to keep the cycle going on the 55gal when I add this filter. Should I continue to run the Penguin 170 I have on there, or should I just put the media from the 170 into one of the media baskets on the Cascade?

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. Shawnie

I fill mine with the carbon bags once a month (changing it) and filter floss (100% polyester fiber that yous stuff pillows with..but it needs to be perfume/dye free) and quilting backing (again perfume/dye free) you have a ton of room to run extra media in case MTS kicks in ;)

if it were med, id run the new filter on the established tank for a good month ..stocking the new filter baskets with a bunch of media...glad you got it figured out!

PS...when you attempt to clean/add media/etc to the cascade, make sure you put a large garbage bag down on the floor with a towel on top of that when you take the cover off in the future.....then you wont have swimming pool in your house!!(so been there and its not fun!)

10. outlaw

Is it like the pictures I see without shutoff valves on the hose end? Ours (not cascade) will make a little mess when disconnecting the hoses but nothing a small dish towel can't handle.

11. Shawnie

there are shut off valves ;D but I didnt realize that when I got mine :;laughing and even so, it still leaks some ..but oh boyz! dont forget the shut off valves!!!!!!!!!!!!! :;rl

12. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Sweet! Yeah, MTS is here and established. :p I have four tanks running at the moment and as soon as the 55gal gets mostly finished (basically, as soon as I get this filter on it), I'm setting up a 29gal paludarium for my son in his room. And YAY about being able to use the batting and fiber fill! I'm doing this tank as a project for one of my college classes (I attend a VERY liberal arts college that's heavy on the liberal and light on the arts ;) ) and it's kind of an experiement in setting up a tank as cheaply as possible, while still creating a stable, "homey" environment for the fish. So far I have spent a whopping $37.58 on equipment for the tank (the tank itself was free, I got a 200W heater for $5, the Cascade filter for $20, a 48" fixture for $10, and bought a bag of play sand to use as part of the substrate for $2.58). :)

13. outlaw

Sounds like a solid budget setup. Makes me wish I would have shopped around a little more for ours.

Too bad you weren't closer, I could have donated an entire setup!

14. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Awww, don't tease me like that!!! lol This tank has been a long time being set up because the first tank I got (a 45gL for free from a different friend) leaked badly in every seam.

My biggest "complaint" about this set up is that I couldn't get a high enough wattage fixture used, so I have ended up running two fixtures on that tank. Both are T-8s. One is the 48" 40W fixture I got for $10. The other is a 36" 60W fixture I pirated off the 46gal bowfront I tore down to make room for this tank (I still have the 46gal...it's in storage until such time as I can afford to set it up again). I would much prefer to have one high wattage fixture (preferably a T-5), but they aren't very common around here.

Anyway, back to the filter. I think I'm going to run the spray bar instead of the directional nozzle output thingy. Mainly because the directional output is MIA. lol But, I also think the spray bar will help diffuse the CO2 better from the DIY set up I'm going to add.

15. outlaw

well, you probably wouldn't have wanted it anyways then. it was a 46g bow (in pic below name).lol the light is just a standard one too.

Which part is diy? co2 injector?

16. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Hehe! I have a 46gal bowfront in my storage shed! That's what I had set up before I got the 55gal. I'm actually using the 36" fixture from it (60W T-8 dual bulb fixture) to up my wattage on the 55gal.

Yes, my CO2 injector is going to be a DIY unit...as soon as I can find a 2 litre bottle (or two). I don't drink soda and neither do my parents. :p

17. Shawnie

I dont remember any of my cascades coming with anything but a spray bar...

18. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

The box and the instructional manual they emailed me both said it comes with a "directional spout assembly" (what they called it). :;dk

Anywho, going to embark on setting it up today! Wish me luck!

19. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Good Luck!:)

20. OP
    OP
    bassbonediva

Okay, I've encountered a problem. The elbow tube set is incomplete. The U-bend tube is there, but he put in a straight tube instead of the gently curved one I need to attach the spray bar (so it isn't vertical). Do you think I could find a similar tube at a hardware store?

Also, the media cartridge from my Penguin 170 was too big to actually fit IN the media basket on the Cascade. Would it be okay sitting on top, or should I just use the one out of the AquaTech 5-15 I had running on there as well (which mysteriously stopped working...I am having the worst luck today!).

I give up!! I can't get the darned thing to create suction! I removed the impeller retainer ring to take a look at it and it appears warped. Could this be part of the cause?
    322.jpg
    Is it something I can fix/reshape, or do I have to buy a new one (and if I have to buy a new one, do I have to order it, or is it something I can get at a hardware store)? I would really rather not have to order one because the shipping will probably cost more than the part and I don't have a checking account (because I don't have a job), so it'd just be easier not to have to mess with ordering stuff. I am seriously :;fru with this thing right now (had some issues getting fittings to go onto pipes, as well)!

AND, I edit yet again! ROFL! I got the filter working! Woot! I had to trim the hoses and then primed the pump with the valves closed and primed it until no more air bubbles came out of the output, but it fired right up as soon as I plugged it in! YAY! So, now all I have to do is get the elbow pipe I need to set up the spray bar and we'll be golden!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice