Cartridge Vs Sponge Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Nate C, Apr 19, 2017.

1. N

Nate C Valued Member Member

So last week at my LFS I mentioned that I was getting armano shrimp and he said to get a sponge filter because the cartridge would suck up the shrimp. ~10 days later (today) I got the shrimp. Took out the cartridge filter to be safe. Should I put it back it back in? Or did the guy at the store give me good advice

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

My only worry would be that the tank is going to go through a mini cycle if the sponge filter didn't have enough time to build up some bb in it.

3. OP
    OP
    N

I am adding BB

4. APierce

I would think it would be fine then :)

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Sponge filters are better for shrimp tanks. They are safe and give the shrimp a surface to graze for algae and biofilm on.

6. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree sponge filters are much better fpr shrimp

7. OP
    OP
    N

Ok. For a 20 long I have a sponge filter large Enough for a 40 gallon tank. Should I have it on low, medium or high

8. APierce

Depends on how powerful the air pump is really. I usually put mine around medium.

9. OP
    OP
    N

Ok thanks.

10. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Just want to say, "cartridge" filter is more commonly known as HOB :)

As mentioned for a shrimp tank sponge is best. However for HOBs, you can add a pre-filter sponge. This is what I do with my 40 breeder, I have an AC110 and have a breeding colony(50+) of sakura red cherry shrimps

11. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

You can also put a nylon stocking around your intake tube. Buy one at the grocery store for about a 1$.

12. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Just add a prefilter sponge or some other protection on your cartridge filter. You can continue using it.

13. OP
    OP
    N

I already have the sponge so should I use just the sponge because my HOB filter is kinda junky anyways

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice