Cartridge change?

Bpkeeper

Reaction score
So my sons tank went through a rough patch a month ago. Now the fish are doing well but the filter is clogged. I tried to clean it using the old water but it wont let water through. I want to change the cartridge but i know the bacteria in the filter is critical. Is it ok to float the old filter ontop of the water and change the filter cartridge?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rub the fiber mesh side of the cartridge with the palm of your hand, in a bucket of used tank water. Very gross, but it should temporarily open it up.
It would be a good idea to replace the cartridge with a Fluval replacement sponge. You'll never have to buy another cartridge. The sponge will last for years.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The bacteria should survive as long as the cartridge remains wet and is exposed to a current. Be sure to keep the pump running.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So my sons tank went through a rough patch a month ago. Now the fish are doing well but the filter is clogged. I tried to clean it using the old water but it wont let water through. I want to change the cartridge but i know the bacteria in the filter is critical. Is it ok to float the old filter ontop of the water and change the filter cartridge?
You can do that. But you can rinse those filters quite vigorously, and squeeze them between your palms. So go ahead and float it, put a new cartridge in then test your water in 3 days. If you have ammonia or nitrites, one other thing you can try if you have a shop vac is, fill a tub 5-10 gallons with dechlorinated water and try sucking the clean treated water through the filter cartridge with the shop vac. Only tap (don't drag) the suction tip of the shop vac against the filter cartridge while holding it both above and just beneath the surface of the water. That will remove tons of the sludge stuck to the cartridge, but it does have to be done carefully to keep from damaging the floss on the cartridge.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom