Carrying eggs..or bloated

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by chrt396, Jul 17, 2015.

1. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Just noticed that one of my green Tiger Barbs had a distended stomach and I am confused. Is it laden with eggs or is there some other issue that I need to deal with. Here are a couple pics.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437116265.425583.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437116285.899968.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437116299.873391.jpg

Your feedback would be great. Am I gonna be a Grandpa again??

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    chrt396

@Anders247 where are you?

The Barb is eating well...swimming around just fine. No signs of stress and not lethargic. There are other Barbs around it that SEEM to protect it,,,but they take turns. If another comes around it...they get chased away. Like they are positioning themselves. Maybe its my mind imagining it or willing it to be so, Who knows!

3. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Looks bloated, try feeding it a blanched pea
    And where did Anders go?

:)

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm here, lol..... not sure what that is. Looks more bloated than pregnant to me.

5. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

agreed
    There you are Anders!

:)

6. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

i also agree...is your one of the two other barbs(below right side in the 2nd pic) also got bloat?

7. OP
    OP
    chrt396

He appears a little on the thick side as well. The Green Barb was EXCEPTIONALLY bloated.

They have always seemed a little "Plump". The Green Barb must have relieved him/herself last night during the wee hours. The "Bulge" has significantly decreased. Unless there are eggs somewhere in the tank...the stomach got smaller. These Barbs are about 1 3/4 - 2" long now. They are not your smaller variety. I had the option of a smaller group..or a more mature one. I chose the bigger ones. I feed them once a day...and I dont think I overfeed them. I did feed them frozen blood worms the other day. I normally feed them Cobalt Tropical Fish Flakes.

I did see one of my Barbs with what LOOKED like antenna or two threads of something hanging out of his mouth when I went to feed them. I was interested to see what he would do when I threw some flakes in there. He tried his best to eat with WHATEVER it was in his mouth, He then spit up a long piece of grass that was longer than he was. These little guys are like Piranhas when they eat! They go NUTZO!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice