Carrying 125-gallon aquarium

gray_matter16

I am becoming a homeowner!! With that we need to transport my 125-gallon aquarium. To get the aquarium into our current apartment on the ground floor was a production to say the least. Carried by 3 men (includes myself), it was extremely heavy and quite stressful. The fish, decor, filter, equipment I have more or less figured out. I need advice on how to best carry an empty 125-gallon glass aquarium where I don't feel quite so stressed that it'll get dropped. Any products out there that can help with this? Thinking like maybe those moving straps they use to carry refrigerators? Hoping to hear experience from some people on those

Dunk2

I am becoming a homeowner!! With that we need to transport my 125-gallon aquarium. To get the aquarium into our current apartment on the ground floor was a production to say the least. Carried by 3 men (includes myself), it was extremely heavy and quite stressful. The fish, decor, filter, equipment I have more or less figured out. I need advice on how to best carry an empty 125-gallon glass aquarium where I don't feel quite so stressed that it'll get dropped. Any products out there that can help with this? Thinking like maybe those moving straps they use to carry refrigerators? Hoping to hear experience from some people on those
https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Dol...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Blacksheep1

No help but congratulations !!!

jpm995

I would say those lifting/carry straps might make easier to move. Also maybe a utility cart to move it where it can be wheeled might help. Don't rush and good luck.

BVUBeavers

I used a dolly/truck when I moved my big tank - and my apartment has 17 steps up to get to the main floor. So I had my brother help me position the tank on the dolly- strapped it up - then I pulled the dolly up the 17 steps very carefully while my brother followed me just in case I slipped.

So yes - either rent or buy a dolly they are not that expensive to buy so I just bought one for any future tank upgrades.

ETA - make sure you wrap the tank in towels or blankets so you dont accidentally scratch the glass on your tank with the dolly.

86 ssinit

Buy acrylic :D.

BradleyH2O

Congrats on the home and good luck with the tank. You could always have a reputable moving company do it. They’re experienced in moving big heavy items like grand pianos and huge safes...this should be a piece of cake for them. They are bonded and insured and will take care of you if it’s damaged. It saves your back and a potential visit to the ER

MoshJosh

Honestly I think your best bet is carrying it by hand, see if you can get a few more people to help, use good communication and set down the tank if breaks are needed or if you run into hiccups.

86 ssinit

Honestly I think your best bet is carrying it by hand, see if you can get a few more people to help, use good communication and set down the tank if breaks are needed or if you run into hiccups.
This is the best advice. Glass tanks are heavy! Too heavy for refrigerator straps. Even professional movers turn down big fish tanks. It’s a take your time and plan your moves move. I moved a 125 and a 200 glass. I’ve since went to acrylic. I can carry by myself up to a 90g without a problem and a 125 with 1 helper and can move it by my self once in my fish room. Plus there much stronger than glass. Yes they do scratch but not that easily. And the scratches can be removed.

jpm995

However you end up moving to move the tank i think the planning is the key. Predetermine the trouble spots [sharp turns, steps] and maybe have a place to set the tank down to get prepared. Maybe a spotter to alert carrier about missteps and assist if muscle is needed. Agree acrylic is a great option [very light] but the cost is way more than glass.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
wapooshe
Replies
Views
New fishes
Replies
Views
AquaticJ
Replies
Views