Carpintis Or Cyano?

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by schmalzy_x0, Aug 23, 2019.

1. schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +245
    Hey everyone. I bought this guy as a Carpintis but I'm not sure if he actually is one. What do you guys think? Is he a Carpintis or a Cyano? He had fry with my Female Convict and I am taking the Hybrid fry to the Fish auction this coming Sunday and want to make sure I know what the parents actually are lol. Thank you!!

IMG_20190823_112520_251.

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I believe your Texas is a Cyano. There are so many variations available that its often difficult to positively ID.
    The old way to determine Cyano vs Carpintis was
    Cyano has spots & Carpintis has blotches, but some Carpintus have elongated blotchy parterns & some don't, and the dots on some Cyano are not uniform in shape, which further complicates things. Cyano & Carpintus have different body shapes. Cyano are bigger w/ larger potential for a nuchal hump. Heres a pic of my Green Texas Carpintis for comparison. 20190823_132944.

3. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,073
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's a carpintis. The Cyano has very small spangles; the size of the spangles on this fish indicate a carpintis.

Also, there is the concern of hybrids in the hobby between the two species. There is a population in Lake Pontchartrain in Louisiana that comes from released hybrid stock.

4. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ratings:
    +245
    Thank you!! The person I did buy it from said it was a Texas Carpintis.. So maybe it is a hybrid!

5. lonewolf 47

lonewolf 47Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +28
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You mentioned that it had frys? I thought that hybrids are not fertile? Or those fish is varieties of the same species?

6. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Ratings:
    +245
    Yes he had fry with my female convict. 3 batches lol! Never heard of hybrids being not fertile.. So I'm not sure about that. Whatever he is... hybrid or not, he is definitely fertile.

7. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,337
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    If the cross is from interspecies, often the offspring will be sterile to prevent genes from intermingling and keep species separate. He's nice looking btw!

8. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,073
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Actually, interspecies hybrids are not sterile all that often. Sometimes they are predominantly one sex, but among CA/NA Cichlids, that doesn't seem to be a problem, either. After all, Red Texas is a hybrid of one of the Herichthys species and one of the Red Devil species, currently two different Genera, and yet they are quite fertile. And hybrids of the two Herichthys species in question above are already known to be quite fertile.

9. angelcraze

angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,337
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh ok tx. I knew it was becoming more common that they were reproducing, like parrot fish for ex, but didn't know hybrids as a whole were now considered not often sterile so tx. Now I know :)