Carpeting Questions

anniebanana267
hi, I have my first freshwater tank for around 2 months now. It’s finally fully cycled and I’d like to put some carpet in. I’d really like to put some staurogyne repens, I don’t have a heavy duty light and I actually don't know too much about co2 injections or anything so I tried to search for an easy hardy one that was pretty and I really like this one. So I want to put some of those with some Seachem Flourite Black substrate. My questions are, will this be okay with my temple compacta and rosette sword? And if anybody has the topfin retreat 5 gallon with stock light and has successfully grown carpet? Thanks in advance.

MD_Plants
You might need to upgrade your lights but I don’t see any problems besides that!

anniebanana267
You might need to upgrade your lights but I don’t see any problems besides that!
Thank you! I was planning on doing it eventually, guess I’ll do it sooner

Vishaquatics
To grow a carpet in a tank like yours, you're better off using dwarf sag or pearlweed. S Repens is a bit difficult to grow lowtech.

Celestialpearl
My S. Repens is sending out tons of roots and is getting really bushy. It's in low tech. I don't know when it will spread.

In general, carpeting plants take longer to spread out in low tech tanks. It can be done, but it will take double the time compared to high tech.

anniebanana267
Thank you both for your replies! Since the lighting seems to be the main issue (unlike I thought it would be the co2), I bought a light from amazon, it’ll be here within 3 days so hopefully it’s a little better than what I have on now!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
atc84
Replies
Views
DeviledFrogs
Replies
Views
Paradise fish
Replies
Views