Carpeting Plants

1. H

Heath0 New Member Member

I was wondering if anyone could list some good carpeting plants thanks

2. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

3. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

If you have decent lighting and dose some kind of fertilizer there are a few easy carpeting plants. Monte Carlo, Marsilea Hirsuta, Dwarf Hairgrass, and Hydrocotyle sp "Japan". Of those, the Hydrocotyle will be the easiest, but it has bigger leaves and will require more work to keep shorter, and even then it will still be 1-2" tall. More if you don't have good lighting. After that Marsilea Hirsuta, which I've never used but had people recommend highly. Then Monte Carlo and DHG will be tied, about. DHG might be a tiny bit harder. For carpeting plants to work you have to have good lighting and ferts OR good substrate e.g. ADA Amazonia and Fluval Stratum. There are others as well. You have to find a balance in your tank, which means no constantly adjusting CO2 if you have it, no adjusting lighting, ferts except if theres something wrong. If you do change because you need to you should do it slowly, like adding 30 min of light every 2 weeks.

4. OP
    OP
    H

Heath0 New Member Member

I have medium lighting I am going to get some root tabs and I use API leaf zone

5. Culprit

You should be able to grow any of those carpet plants I listed. Monte Carlo and DHG will be a little harder, but you'll have to stay on top of maintnence and have patience, as it will grow slowly.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

What's the specific light bulb/LED?
    I always say that to have the best success with small carpeting plants you must have a soil substrate like ADA aquasoil, fluval stratum, controsoil, etc. There is no way around it, they are small and the roots are too short at first to reach root tabs. Even then, root tabs are small pockets of nutrients and the plants that aren't above those pockets suffer. Doable without soil, but you will never get the same result as with soil.
    API leaf zone is not a good fertilizer, it only contains iron and potassium. Plants need a lot more macro and micro nutrients, such as nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, manganese, boron, etc

7. OP
    OP
    H

Heath0 New Member Member

Ok I'm not to sure what type of light I have but it's the light that comes with the fluval all flex, could you also list some better fertilises and or root tabs I could use. Btw I live in Australia :)

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure if the common all-in-ones ship to Australia, so combining seachem flourish, nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, perhaps iron, and equilibrium if you have soft water, will give the effect of an all-in-one. Seachem also makes root tabs :)

9. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

By far the easiest carpeting plant in my opinion is dwarf sagittaria, it grows and spreads pretty quickly in medium light low tech setups. S.repens is fairly easy too.

10. OP
    OP
    H

Heath0 New Member Member

Ok thanks for all of your help would Christmas moss be good for carpeting?

11. Culprit

If you got stainless steel mesh and sandwiched the moss between it, then laid it down then yes.

12. OP
    OP
    H

Heath0 New Member Member

Ok thanks :)