Carpeting plants 55 Gallon Tank

1. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

Anyone have any suggestions on a good carpeting plant that does well in sand? i just replaced the gravel with sand. i have about .5 inch of some eco complete topped with a light brown/tan sand. i will upload pictures when i can.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What kind of light do you have? Most plants carpet well if you have good lighting. There's some good carpeting plants such as dwarf hairgrass, baby tears which is kind of hard to carpet unless you have injected co2 and high lighting. You can carpet dwarf sag.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    g

i use 2 48" t5ho im not sure on the wattage but i will update that when i get home. one is 10000k and the other is 6500k i know that for sure

4. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

I have tried Dwarf baby tears in 2 tanks w/o success. 1 has moderate lighting w/CO2 injection and the other has high lighting w/CO2 tabs 2x/week. The latter tank just got Hydrocotyle put in last week and it is doing very well, so far. I am seeing good growth and rooting in just a few days.

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I would go with dwarf sag for a carpeting plant. With the light that you have its really good for the dwarf sag. My dwarf sag sends out runners all the time and I don't have high light. I just dose fertilizers once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    g

here is a pic of the tank. what do yall think would carpet it best?
    [​IMG]