Carpeting Plants without CO2

Accents

Hi, I am trying to create a carpeted aquarium without CO2 in a 5 gallon Fluval tank. I have the original light which I've heard people have grown Monte Carlo with, and it also has Fluval stratum as the substrate and I have Fluval Thrive, Excel, and iron supplements.

Currently, I have anubias, ludwigia, pearl weed, and cryptocoryne wendtiI in the tank. Are there any carpeting plants that will grow with the original light? Or are there any cheap options for stronger lights?

My goal is to have a pretty tight carpet, as well as not letting the stem plants get too leggy, but I don't have the option of bubbling CO2 or getting anything that's over $35 in terms of a light.

jpaquatics

I had tried carpeting plants without CO2 as well. The only plant I was able to get to grow was dwarf sag, which didn’t carpet very tightly and was slow growing. Unfortunately I think you’ll have trouble getting the type of carpet you want without CO2, but not saying it isn’t worth a try

FinalFins

dwarf sag or chain swords? dwarf hairgrass?

Or manually planted carpet of crypt parva

Accents

Thanks for the replies! With the dwarf sag, when it grew, did it get super tall? I've seen some pictures where it got pretty tall but I feel like that I take away some of the depth that is achieved with layering.

jpaquatics

Thanks for the replies! With the dwarf sag, when it grew, did it get super tall? I've seen some pictures where it got pretty tall but I feel like that I take away some of the depth that is achieved with layering.

For me, no. It grew okay and did send out runners, just didn’t carpet super fast and tight like I’d hoped. Though I did only have it for about 9 months before taking it out. I’m sure if you had it for longer and were patient you could be successful with it.

CichlidJynx

Dwarf hairgrass grows nicely even in sand

F511858C-5B8A-465F-83CC-A76C38E6A6F2.jpeg

KingJamal2

Hi, I am trying to create a carpeted aquarium without CO2 in a 5 gallon Fluval tank. I have the original light which I've heard people have grown Monte Carlo with, and it also has Fluval stratum as the substrate and I have Fluval Thrive, Excel, and iron supplements.

Currently, I have anubias, ludwigia, pearl weed, and cryptocoryne wendtiI in the tank. Are there any carpeting plants that will grow with the original light? Or are there any cheap options for stronger lights?

My goal is to have a pretty tight carpet, as well as not letting the stem plants get too leggy, but I don't have the option of bubbling CO2 or getting anything that's over $35 in terms of a light.
Dwarf sag. It will need root tabs though. I have a nice carpet going with it.

KingJamal2

In low light, it will get tall, but you can just cut the leaves shorter. It doesn’t harm the plant at all.

Accents

Thanks! I'll try to get some then.

angelcraze

Another for the dwarf sag. Mine does well with a lot of substrate nutrient (like dirt), they stay nice and short and actually reproduce pretty tightly for me. The more light they have, the shorter they are IME.

Tenellus is a finer leaved plant similar to dwarf sag how it spreads via runner. With enough light, it will turn pinkish (at least the type I had).

IMG_6829_crop.jpg

Maybe it's better for larger tanks, but I use stargrass to make a carpet. It will crawl along the substrate with enough lighting, even in my deep tanks. I think it could also work in your 5g.

20190920_113008.jpg

I was also able to grow baby tears (HM) in a soil substrate without added co2.

20190803_195424.jpg
But I pushed the boundary with light and ended up with algae. You can only have enough light for the nutrients and co2 the plants have. If you have more light than the plants can use, the excess becomes an advantage for algae.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
  • Question
Replies
Views
AcornTheBetta
Replies
Views
Rye3434
  • Question