Carpeting Plants In Low Tech 40b?

1. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

Alright, last post regarding my 40B, I swear! I'm planning on setting up a fairly low tech 40 breeder, hopefully a finnex planted+ light, good filtration, dosing with excel and maybe trying to get into dosing other nutrients?, as well as possibly some form of planted tank substrate.

I'm coming from a 60 gallon planted tank that I don't dose, and that only has pool filter sand (I use root tabs), but in reality even with the finnex planted+ on there, no amount of light coming through 2 feet of water seems to be enough for these finicky carpeting plants. So, now that I'm only working with 17 inches of depth, really about 15 after substrate, what can I do? Is dwarf hair grass an option? Dwarf baby tears? I think dwarf sag might be a bit tall as a carpet for a 40B, but what about crypt parva?

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Japanese clover is an option

3. Alex6455

Alex6455 Valued Member Member

Crypt parva and dwarf four leaf clover work well.

4. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Possibly monte carlo too. Would definitely not recommend dwarf baby tears, those will die without CO2. In my experience carpeting plants require more light, CO2, and nutrients during the spreading/growing period. Afterwards, they can live in lower light (I have some monte carlo in shade) but do not grow as much, if at all, in low light.

5. Hunterhusker

Hunterhusker Valued Member Member

Dwarf sag is what I have been recommended. From my understanding it will take a while but if you leave it alone long enough it will carpet no ferts and low light.

6. OP
    OP
    Guppykid101

Yeah, I figured I was pushing it with dwarf baby tears, I'm def not going with co2, but I figured maybe the higher light it would be getting along with the good substrate might help it along.

7. Koiman

Koiman Valued Member Member

Try pearlweed. (Hemianthus micranthemoides)

Stuff grew like an absolute weed in a low tech tank that my friend had.

8. OP
    OP
    Guppykid101

I like it! Think thats what I'll go with.

9. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Just read up about it first on the Internet. A few sources say co2 is necessary and nutrient rich soil.

10. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Pearlweed is different from dwarf baby tears, which is the one that needs soil and CO2. Pearlweed grows like a stem plant, really fast, but doesn't carpet on its own. You'd have to keep trimming and replanting. It gets very tall too.