Carpet Plants Recommendations?

Gamemast

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I’m starting a 60 gal (heavily) planted aquarium and was looking for a nice carpeting plant. Tank has no co2 but great lighting.
Preferably something that fills out quick and doesn’t need ferts.
Thanks!

GoldFiska

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd recommend Monte Carlo.

I also have a tank with nice lighting but no CO2, no ferts. I planted monte carlo a week ago and it is already starting to fill up.

Hydrocotyle Japan and S. Repens are also good, but they don't grow quite as fast.

Gamemast

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thanks so much
how much would it cost on average?
And how many portions would I need?

GoldFiska

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok thanks so much
how much would it cost on average?
And how many portions would I need?
Mine cost $6 per cup, and it was all I needed for a 10 gallon. I would get at least 6 for a 60 gallon if you want the carpet to fill in at a reasonable rate.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also what type of lighting? Monte Carlo can grow without co2, albeit slowly as mak stated, however still needs some decent lighting at the bottom along with ferts/root tabs...

I would go with hydrocotyle triparta Japan, dwarf sag, micro swords (lileaopsis), etc in favor of Monte Carlo in a tank that deep with no co2.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would a liquid co2 work?
Liquid CO2 helps plants no doubt, but in my opinion is only around 30% as effective as injected CO2 for Monte Carlo specifically. It is more effective for easier plants, and it's effectiveness decreases as you get to the more CO2 demanding plants.

Kodiak Aquatics

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Liquid CO2 helps plants no doubt, but in my opinion is only around 30% as effective as injected CO2 for Monte Carlo specifically. It is more effective for easier plants, and it's effectiveness decreases as you get to the more CO2 demanding plants.
I want stag repens and dwarf sag

Gamemast

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You will definitely need some form of fertilizer then, what light do you have?
I have a USA current light
And what’s the best and easiest ferts I heard about tabbs and all sorts of stuff any recommendations?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom