Carpet Plants - Or Grass Like? Help

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hia
    My aquarium would be complete if I could find a plant which doesnt grow too high and like grass to cover a little substrate. I heard of java moss but it sorta grows up and very quickly grows out of control.

Any recommendations please post :)
    Thanks again all!,
    Dan

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know plants - but won't this be a nightmare to keep clean? How do you vacuum it?

3. mathas Well Known Member Member

Is your aquarium info accurate... you have 15W of lighting on a 17g tank? If that's the case, you're going to have a very tough time getting a carpet plant to survive, let alone thrive, unless you're willing/able to provide more intense lighting.

Some options were discussed in this thread, but again, most of them require much higher light: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...y-plants-use-substrate-place-sand-gravel.html

Place the end of the vacuum close to the plants and swish it around... the moving water loosens and stirs up any detritus lying on top, and the suction pulls it up and out.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

thanks for the explanation, mathas. your reason for the edit made me laugh out loud.

5. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Mathas again. Most grass like carpet plants require much more light than you have at the moment. You would need to increase the amount of light you have or change what sort of plant you want to grow. Java Moss is no problem as once it is established as your carpet you just give it a trim with a pair of scissors to keep it at the hieght you want. Other low light foreground plants that you could use but don't look like a grass are Anubius Barteri var Nana 'petite', Cryptocoryne Undulata 'Red', Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Green', Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'Tropica' & Marsilea Hirsuta (Water Clover). None of that list really look like grasses but they are plants that will eventually form a carpet through your tank & stay low.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Me, too!

7. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I don't think the fish would like having to mow grass.

8. crazedACD Member Member

I LOVE how some of carpet plants look, they are so pretty, good luck with it. Love dwarf hairgrass but I know you need a lot of light. My lighting really isn't appropriate for it, plus I have cichlids, so I can't do it-anyone know of a fake plant carpet? :D Would be nice if someone could come up with a "sheet" of it, ahh.

9. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

You can get fake plant mats of foreground plants. They are usually about 1ft square & you can cut them to any shape you want. The plants on them are usually about 2inches high & with some you can chop & change them around abit to have different stalk lengths to give a more natural look. You just cut the mat to the shape you want & bury it in your substrate. Should be able to find them at your LFS for $5-20 depending on the quality. I know Hairgrasss mats are available here in Aus so you guys in America must have them.

10. VenomGrass Member Member

I currently have x4 wisteria, and a few Hornwort; they grow like crazy have to trim every few days to keep under my control. Maybe these are low lighting plants? but 15W is ok for them I suppose. Any cool plants which will work in my aquarium then please? :)

11. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

What sort of 15w light is it? It may be putting out more than a standard 15w tube which may open up a few options for you. Some basic low light plants are Java Fern (various varieties), Java Moss, Anubius Barteri (various varities), Hygophilia Polysperma Sunset, Water Wisteria, Ambulia & Cryptocoryne (various varities). Have a look through some of the plants on this link: http://www.tropica.com/default.asp You should be able to find a few you like in there that will suit your tank conditions. Also do a google search for Aquarium Plant Databases & you will get a few sites that have fairly extensive plant listings with info on care & requirements.

12. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks for the link :). Quick question: I have just been watching the sun shine through my tank (normally blocked by blinds to prevent algae etc) But the colours of the fish came to life! what light tube would you recommend me to buy to improve quality. I dont have a clue about the technical side of lights. Thanks again nutter.

13. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Natural sunlight has a kelvin reading of 6,500 so I would suggest somwhere around that mark should be ok but it won't give the same stand out colors as natural sunlight does. Something between 6,500 & 10,000k should do you ok. A combination of the two will give good results for plant growth & bringing out your fishes colors if you do decide to upgrade your lighting or simply add an extra fitting.

14. VenomGrass Member Member

what type of light should i buy for my juwel 600. might not fit too many different sizes in? Just any brand?

15. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have hands on experience with these tanks but from what I have read about them they come with a 15wT8 tube in them. I'm not sure what exactly is available in England in 15w T8's & they basically don't exist in Aus. I did notice that there is an upgrade to a T5 High Lite kit that is available for your aquarium. 15w T5 tubes are more available over here so I imagine it would be the same in England. This will give you more choice as to what type of light you put in there. It will also give you more light as T5's put out more light than the same length T8 tube. For replacing the tube you have you just need to find any T8,(1" dia), 15w tube. It should be the exact same length & diameter as the tube you are currently using. If you find you have choices in the available tubes look for tubes that have the Kelvin rating printed on the packaging & choose on ethat has a Kelvin Rating of between 6,500 & 10,000. Any brand that is the same size & has a Kelvin rating like I mentioned will do fine. If you can't find any other brands then just replace with the type you have now. Another tip for increasing the light in your aquarium is to buy & install a good reflector for the light or to buy some Mylar Film & stick that to the inside of the hood. Doing this will dramatically increase the amount of light you have.

16. VenomGrass Member Member

Thanks for the amazing post. Yeah I have just installed a reflector and the improvement is easilly +100%! Please could you link me to a UK website page selling the light you would recommend so I can get an idea. Sorry to bother you again I feel really guilty! Your advice is worth money I tell you! Thanks again nutter (sorry I don't know your real name haha). Dan

17. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Your quite welcome for the advice. I ask plenty of questions myself at times & I've been into aquariums for years.:) Try http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/aquarium-spares-juwel.htm#lights
    They seem to have a fairly wide range of spares for juwel aquariums at ok proces. I did notice that they have the upgrade to T5 lighting as well as spare lighting kits with 2 tubes in them. I woould reccomend either the High Lite fitting or the Dual Tube fitting for you. Could be worth investing in. Do a Google search for - Juwel Aquarium Lighting UK if you want to check them against other suppliers. I only did a very quick search. Don't feel guilty about asking for help either, it's what we are all here for & I don't mind helping out where I can. Graeme.