Carpet plant

Aquarias360

Reaction score
Which carpet plant would be best with pea gravel and flourite?
And if I mix ada soil will it benefit the carpet plus root tabs? Or will I not need that.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With pea gravel and flourite your choies are limited. I would say about the only ones that would work in that kind of substrate would be dwarf sag and the dwarf chain swords like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. All carpeting plants need a source of nutrients at their roots so you should at least do root tabs (preferably osmocote or something like Thrive root tabs).

I would not mix an aquasoil into that substrate... not only will it not be aesthetically pleasing, but over time it will separate anyway. So you could put a layer of aquasoil and cap it, but the gravel/flourite will limit what you can grow becauseof it's coarsness.

Are you using high light and CO2? I can make other suggestions based on that answer.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Moderate light, strong CO2, and access to nutrients are needed for carpeting plants.

Pea gravel makes it tough, dwar sag, chain sword and that's about it.

Flourite is a little easier, you can get anything to carpet in it so long as CO2 is abundant, and you have moderate lighting and fertilize the tank. You don't need any nutrients in the substrate, they do help though, root tabs leach into the water column rather quickly, they aren't designed for submersed applications.

Again, order of importance to carpeting plants:

Substrate texture / structure and access to CO2 are equally #1 / #2
Lighting and nutrients equally #3 / #4

With flourite you can do monte carlo, HC, hairgrass etc. etc.

Or, you can buy a boat load of dwarf crypts and manually plant a carpet. Crypt parva would work well for this.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chanyi said:
Or, you can buy a boat load of dwarf crypts and manually plant a carpet. Crypt parva would work well for this.
I just did this, and got them in last weekend. Get root tabs. Order them with the Crypt. I ordered mine from Aquarium co-op, I started with 3 beautifully green little pots and each one split out into 10 -12 plantlets, which ended up covering exactly all of the area I wanted to use it in. I didn't get root tabs, and they're starting to turn pale a bit, but otherwise haven't had any melt to speak of.

OP
A

Aquarias360

Reaction score
Fahn said:
With pea gravel and flourite your choies are limited. I would say about the only ones that would work in that kind of substrate would be dwarf sag and the dwarf chain swords like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis. All carpeting plants need a source of nutrients at their roots so you should at least do root tabs (preferably osmocote or something like Thrive root tabs).

I would not mix an aquasoil into that substrate... not only will it not be aesthetically pleasing, but over time it will separate anyway. So you could put a layer of aquasoil and cap it, but the gravel/flourite will limit what you can grow becauseof it's coarsness.

Are you using high light and CO2? I can make other suggestions based on that answer.
I will be using high light. Put haven’t consider CO2.

OP
A

Aquarias360

Reaction score
I’m going to turn to eco complete it’s in my price range.
with that I should be able to not cap. Right?
And then carpet plants should have a better outcome.
I have high lighting. It will be in a 55 gallon tank.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aquarias360 said:
I’m going to turn to eco complete it’s in my price range.
with that I should be able to not cap. Right?
And then carpet plants should have a better outcome.
I have high lighting. It will be in a 55 gallon tank.
Ecocomplete is basically crushed lava rock with a few added minerals and really doesn't contain many nutrients. Plants will root in it well but you will need to supplement with fertilizer.

If you're going to be using high lighting with no CO2 I recommend adding floating plants and planting as heavily as you can from the beginning, or you'll just get lots of algae.

OP
A

Aquarias360

Reaction score
Fahn said:
Ecocomplete is basically crushed lava rock with a few added minerals and really doesn't contain many nutrients. Plants will root in it well but you will need to supplement with fertilizer.

If you're going to be using high lighting with no CO2 I recommend adding floating plants and planting as heavily as you can from the beginning, or you'll just get lots of algae.
Fahn said:

i want floating plants anyways. What floating plants are out there for beginners?

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If using high lighting, check out red root runners (floating plant). Has really neat red roots that hang down into the water.

New Threads