Carney Goldfish Blues - new tank - Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DaGbyte, Jul 23, 2015.

1. DaGbyteNew MemberMember

no, it's not a Country song - my kids won 3 goldfish at a carnival and, like a good dad, we went and got them a tank. $70 later, those free fish are starting to look pretty tasty. But I digress...

I went to Petco and got a 10 gallon tank, 2 bags of gravel, some plastic plants, an aqueon quietflow 10 filter and Spongebob house. Cleaned it all, filled with well water, added some Aqueon water conditioner. They've been doing just fine for like 2 weeks now - yay me...

I looked at the filter the other day and it was disgusting. I drained the tank, rinsed the gravel, washed the tank, refilled with well water and put in a new filter. 2 days later, the filter is already brown. is that normal? I know goldfish poop alot, but I just would like to know if the cycle will level out and I won;t have to put in a new filter every couple of days.

Any other suggestions?

2. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Ok unfortunately a 10 gallon will not work for 3 goldfish let alone 1 goldfish.. Goldfish get big and produce a lot of poop! Minimum requirement is I think if i remember correctly 20g for the first and 10g for each additional fancy/fan tail goldfish.. Standard single tail or commet goldfish require ponds basically due to there potential size and waste production.. So really you need a 40g minimum for 3 fancy/fan tailed goldies however as you mentioned they were carnival goldfish and most likely are commets therefore they need to be rehomed to a pond..

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I agree, they're most likely comets and will eventually need a pond. Every time you change your filter cartidge you're losing almost all of your good bacteria that you need to cycle your tank. ...when it gets dirty (which will be often with goldies) just swish it and squeeze it around a bit in old tank water (in a bucket) or dechlorinated water to get the gunk off and stick it back in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    D

DaGbyteNew MemberMember

Bijou88 - really? How often then should I change the filter? This is what the filter looks like after just 2 days.

20150723_081931.jpg

What happens to most goldies people get for free from fairs and such?

5. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Sadly, most of them die ib imagine :( it's pretty typical for cartidges to get funky like that, what I've done with that type is just swish it in tank water, then cut a slit in the top of the fabric and dump the carbon out, once a month add in new and you're good to go. :) carbon is fairly cheap if you buy it in little tubs. If it's getting dirty that quickly you may be overfeeding a bit as well, you should only feed them as much as they'll eat in 2 minutes (with just three, I'd say one small pinch) once or twice a day max.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    D

DaGbyteNew MemberMember

That's about what I feed them. The tank is getting kinda cloudy and it's only been 2 days - that normal? I do notice they don;t eat everyhting, so maybe I'll dial it back a bit.

7. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Pleasure to meet you!! :D

Okay, yes, that tank is too small for goldfish, much less three. But it is WAY better than the tiny "goldfish bowls" that most people would put them in.

Secondly, you shouldn't change the filter at all really, as that's where your beneficial bacteria lives. Just swish the filter in a bucket of old tank water when it really needs it.

How often are you doing water changes and how much do you take out?

8. OP
    OP
    D

DaGbyteNew MemberMember

That was my next question - I have a about 9 liters of room temp tap (well) water. How much and how often should I do it? Also, for how long? it _should_ level off at some point, yes?

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Once your tank is cycled, for the goldfish in that small of a tank, frequent, larger water changes would be best. The best thing you could do is rehome the goldfish though, and get more appropriately sized fish for your 10 gal. There are some pretty tetras that would work well! https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...tions/200264-stocking-options-10-gallons.html

While you're cycling (you didn't add TSS, right?), you could do large, frequent changes too, to protect the fish from the high ammonia. Maybe 50% every day or every other day? You'd be best getting an API Master Freshwater Kit and test the water yourself. This will give you a good idea of where you're at in the cycle and how often you need to do water changes to protect your fish until it cycles. If you haven't already, read up on the nitrogen cycle (click the words!). (You might've lost most/all of the BB when you rinsed your gravel, threw away your filter, and cleaned the entire tank). To keep your BB, simply gently rinse the filter in old tank water, and use a gravel siphon ($5-$10) to clean the gravel. You shouldn't ever have to full empty the tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice