Question Caring for free swimming angel frys

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I pulled the leaf that had the wrigglers today on day 5. There were at least a few on it when i pulled it and at least one went free swimming after i put it in the pail. This is detailed here:
I have angel wrigglers !! What now ? | 461864 | Breeding Fish

My question is on how to care for the free swimmers I get. What I read is i should not feed them for 36 hours - and after that a mix of baby brine shrimp and hiraki baby food.

A few questions:
how often should i feed them ?
Should i do water changes (they are in a 5 gallon pail - probably 2 1/2 gallon of water with a tiny sponge filter and a few floating plants i tossed in) ?
When can i start feeding them flakes ?
---
My plan is to remove the adult male in a 29 that has one ram an adult male angel and a bunch of sterbai and 1 inch pleco - and put them in there when they are old enough to not be eaten by the ram. Once they get about 2 inches i will give them away (probably lfs but anyone local who wants them can have them). I'm mostly curious to see their colour and the exercise for when i can actually keep more angels (right now all tanks are full and i can't put more tanks in the condo).

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can care for them by not overreacting. It would be smart to move one of the adults over, if they haven't eaten the eggs, then they should be fine with the babies. The adult will teach the fry to swim by putting them in their mouth and firing them. But just don't keep the male in the 21/2 gallon. Feed them every day, water changes(matter how many)10+ every week. 50+ 2 times a week. 100+ Don't keep them in a 2.5.

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Reaction score
FishBoy101 said:
You can care for them by not overreacting. It would be smart to move one of the adults over, if they haven't eaten the eggs, then they should be fine with the babies. The adult will teach the fry to swim by putting them in their mouth and firing them. But just don't keep the male in the 21/2 gallon. Feed them every day, water changes(matter how many)10+ every week. 50+ 2 times a week. 100+ Don't keep them in a 2.5.
Hear hear to the not overreacting. I am starting to slowly learn that!

OP
jake37

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can't put the female in the bucket now - i moved them to the bucket yesterday so it has been 24 hours and she probably wont' remember them. I can try that next time - also i'm not really sure i want her in a 5 gallon pail for weeks. Maybe for a day or two. At this point i have around 10 free swimming and I'm trying to inject bbs - sounds like i should feed them once a day from what you say. Not 100% sure the bbs is still alive - i picked it up thursday afternoon. I'll do a water change this afternoon and put in some hiraki baby food.

FishBoy101 said:

New Threads