Resource icon

Caring for bristlenose pleco

StinkyLoaf
CrustyDusty submitted a new resource:

Caring for bristlenose pleco - How to adequately care for a bristlenose pleco, a popular bottom-feeding fish for medium-sized tanks

The bristlenose pleco, also known as the bushynose pleco is a medium-sized bottom-feeding fish that often entices beginners to keep them due to their small size in comparison to other catfishes available in the hobby. They are in the loricariidae family, a group of omnivorous armored catfish species that are primarily nocturnal.

Size - up to 15cm (6in)
Tank size - 25 gallons (110l)
Distribution - South America, Amazon basin
Diet - algae wafers, vegetables, wood, detritus and general waste...
Read more about this resource...

Betta'sAnonymous
Cool! I will give this a read before i get my bn pleco.

StinkyLoaf
I guess the fins do add some length to the fish.

DoubleDutch
Great job.

Only think that the diet isn't complete / correct : BN's need protein (omnivores) as well and hardly / not eat wood / detritus.

StinkyLoaf
Later on I’m considering editing my articles to better improve the accuracy of the information. Thanks!

StinkyLoaf
Just a quick question: what source of protein can I mention in my edit?

StinkyLoaf
Thank you! I’ll add that to the article now.

ABrown85
I know you've been saying about feeding them meat of some sort, i put a broccoli stalk in and my bn pleco loves it but normally feed him wafers once a week (only once because I want him to carry on cleaning)

StinkyLoaf
Do you have an algae bloom going on in your tank?

ABrown85
CrustyDusty said:
Do you have an algae bloom going on in your tank?
Very little, I figured the more I physically feed him, the less he's going to clean.

StinkyLoaf
I understand. Although the point of keeping plecos isn’t solely based around cleaning they’re useful fish for the job.

bumblinBee
Great article, well written! I guess lifespan wasn't a factor I was even considering when I purchased mine, completely forgot how long they can live haha. Looks like we'll be together for quite some time

Kribensis27
bumblinBee said:
Great article, well written! I guess lifespan wasn't a factor I was even considering when I purchased mine, completely forgot how long they can live haha. Looks like we'll be together for quite some time
That’s one of my favorite things about them. They’re super great fish, and you can have them for a long time. Other fish, like rams, are great, but their lifespan is just too short for my liking.

bumblinBee
Kribensis27 said:
That’s one of my favorite things about them. They’re super great fish, and you can have them for a long time. Other fish, like rams, are great, but their lifespan is just too short for my liking.
I can certainly see the appeal in having them for a long time, you develop a bit of a relationship with them. I can also see the appeal of short lived fish though. I have a bit of a 'clean slate syndrome.' The best way I can explain it is with video games. I will often play a game half way through, drop it, and when I return I like to start a new game all over again. The feeling of having a clean slate, to start from scratch, is very satisfying. I think that feeling can be applied to aquariums as well. Having fish that only live 3-5 years means that I can provide them with an excellent quality of life until they pass, and then I have an opportunity to start over with a clean slate and different fish. If I had exclusively fish that live 20+ years, that means I can't experience any other kind of fish for 20+ years unless I rehome those fish or get another tank.. and rehoming them after raising them for several years just feels kind of wrong. Buying more tanks is a whole other issue as well, there goes all my money haha.

This was a very long winded way of me trying to say I see the appeal in both. Sorry about that haha

StinkyLoaf
One of my dad’s friends had a common pleco in his 650 litre cylinder tank that recently died at the age of 42. It was with him since childhood.

bumblinBee
CrustyDusty said:
One of my dad’s friends had a common pleco in his 650 litre cylinder tank that recently died at the age of 42. It was with him since childhood.
That's so unfortunate! I know my mother had to rehome her cichlids when she moved, and she'd had them for 11 years, it was devastating for her. I can hardly imagine parting with a pet after 42 years!

StinkyLoaf
My bristlenose has been with me for nearly three years.

bumblinBee
CrustyDusty said:
My bristlenose has been with me for nearly three years.
I've only had my BN for a year myself, I'm enjoying watching him grow, can't wait to see how big he'll get. Hoping for a big beard too haha

Coradee
This is starting to stray off topic now, this thread is for discussing the article on caring for your Bristlenose pleco, please take any side discussions to the appropriate boards

StinkyLoaf
When I first got my pleco I impatiently waited for him grow the signature beard.

SouthAmericanCichlids
I would also like to add, that males are quite aggressive towards each other, and you shouldn't have more than one male without enough territory for both of them.

emeraldking
I've got bristlenoses as well. And I don't give them a specific maintenance. They're in my tanks, they eat leftovers, plants and so on overhere. And they're doing fine all these years. They also reproduce themselves in there.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Good info, but for the temp., I have kept BN plecos in 84 degree (F.) water and he's thrived, I have it down now for plants, but no stunting, not stressed, same behavior as when it was that high. I don't know what the max is but I know they can go at least in 84 degrees, 86 ssinit I know keeps BN with his discus. What's the highest you've kept your's in?

86 ssinit
I’ve had them up to 88 and they’ve been fine. 84 for an average temp.
27121E85-D9D1-4429-B839-2F91C91F5CB0.jpeg

StinkyLoaf
I'll change the temp. Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom