Caring for: Bee Goby or Pea Puffer (Dwarf Puffer)

1. Broq15 Initiate Member

I went to the fish store to look for cardinal tetras and saw a pea puffer and two bumble bee gobys (so peaceful and calm...). The fish guy was telling me that these 2 fish are freshwater and I was surprised...he never mentioned anything about how these fish need brackish water which is what I've read so far online.

What's the deal with that? Can they live in freshwater?

Also, any advice or tips about those pea puffers? PRETTY SWEET fish! I read briefly about them on here. Any real-life experience with these little guys?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Broq. Sometimes fish stores don't always hand out the best information. It's nice to see that you're doing additional research. I don't have personal experience with either fish mentioned but I'm sure someone will come along that does.
    Ken

3. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Broq, I agree with Ken about wrong info pet stores can give. Lots of fish owners end up having dead or sick fish and loads of problems. I too don't know much about puffers or Gobies but I do know that they definitely require brackish water. Hope a member with Goby or puffer experience can swing by soon. Good luck! :;hf

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Some members have dwarf puffers, I'm sure they'll chime in soon.
    I don't know about Gobys but DP's are purelt fresh water.
    They're so cute. I almost bought one myself a week or so ago. :)

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

After I lost the gudgeons in my 8 gallon, I decided I redo the tank. I got 2 dwarf puffers and 3 bumblebee gobies about 3 weeks ago. Dwarf puffers are definitely FW fish, but I've read that there are some species of BB gobies that are FW and some that need brackish water. The BBs I bought looked healthy and active in FW, so I decided to keep them in FW. I've kept them in FW in the past and they seemed to do well. So far so good, the puffers and gobies ignore each other and I haven't seen any conspecific aggression from them either. Of course, this doesn't mean that I'll have long term success with this setup, and if I need to move any fish around I'll be able to do that. Plant your tank and add decorations to break up lines of sight. I used live plants and driftwood and all is well for now. :)

6. Broq15 Initiate Member

Thanks for all the tips harpua. I'm happy to see you've had some success so far. You should keep my updated over the months and let me know how they are holding up in pure FW.

I'll wait and see if I can get the pea puffers bc I wanna make sure I have a good home for one or 2. I would probably have to get rid of my 3 glofish if I were to set up for the PP and BB. I posted pics of my tank last night. Look for my thread under photos or click on my past posts?? Not sure. Take a look and tell me what you see. It's still not complete, but it's getting there...

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, you would need to get rid of your Glofish I'd say. I will take a look at your thread, I'm sure you're doing great. :)

8. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

For those who want to keep bumblebee gobies in freshwater, here's the way to tell the difference:
    "The Brachygobius xanthozona has perfect unbroken black stripes and is best suited for brackish, but will tolerate fresh water much better than the other type.

The Brachygobius nunus has less well banded stripes, and occasionally black spots or broken stripes. It is not very tolerant of a fresh water environment. Technically its common name is the Golden Banded Goby, although I have not once seen these two species clearly distinguished when on sale in fish stores. "
    (from http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/McKane_Bumblebee_Gobies.html)

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I have both type of bumble bee gobies in my brackish tank. IMHO both should be kept in brackish waters for optimal health and happiness. "Tolerate" is not the same as "thrive." As a brackish fish owner, I have a serious peeve with pet store owners that insist on trying to make brackish fish "deal with" fw.

People say that these little buggers are grumpy and territorial; I'm assuming they are like that when they are in small areas or overstocked. I have 8 in a 55g brackish (along with other fish). They don't argue or nip at each other; mine actually hang out together in pairs or trios all the time. I also have loads of caves, tiny terracotta pots, decor, and plants, so maybe that makes a difference. They DO nip long flowing fins - I had to move a few male fancy guppies because of that.

They like frozen blood worms, tubifex worms, and molly fry. They pretty much refuse any kind of flake or crisp or freeze dried worms.

I love my bumbles. They're adorable and cool at the same time. :) They hang out everywhere in the tank - substrate, plants, all over the sides of the tank, so even though they're really small, you can always see them hanging out. Loads of fun to watch. :D