Caring for a surprise betta!

valentine
so here in the deal:

on the 16th of January I ordered some plants for my aquarium and after like 2 1/2 weeks I sent them an email saying I wanted the plants or my money back so I could get them somewhere else. So they sent the plants.
when I opened the box this sad little betta fish was in a tiny bag (about 1.5 ounces) of freezing water. So I freaked out trying to figure out what to do, I stuck him in a measuring cup of warm water then I looked in the box and found 2 ghost shrimp which I thought were dead but now they are living in my mom's tank
i'm still so mad they put him at risk like that

So I put all the plants in this little tank and now valentino (the sad little fish) is lurking around being awesome and he went from white to pink and purple!

But I don't have any idea how to care for him

so here are my questions:
-how big should his tank be? he is in this 1.5 gallon plastich thing they sent with him for now but I don't thing it's big enough
-does he need anything special?
-i've got a heater in there now but should I get a filter?
-his fin has a tear, will in heal?
-what is he? like what kind of betta fish?

any advice would be helpful as I have never been into betta before so I have no idea what he will require

i'm adding pictures if anybody thinks they might know what he is

King_Snuggles
people here say the best is at least a 5 gal tank. I have mine in a 6 gal. some will say they are hapiest in a 10gal. I would recommend a heater set at 78-80 and filter. If you have a choice use a darker substrait like black or dark bule it cuts down on the amount of glare so the betta won't flare so much. for optimal health a varied diet is optinal. though my betta won't eat anything except his betta bites.

valentine
also is it ok for them to swim fast? i've never seen one zip around the way he does

chickadee
How is he zipping around? Is it in fits and spurts or is he playing in the water and just swimming fast? If he is swimming normally and then all of a sudden starts to swim wildly it may mean that you have a water quality problem, but if he is just swimming fast and diving around in the water like he is racing around all the time then he is just having fun and playing and as long as he is not hurting himself or running into things he is fine. Just watch him and make sure it is not because he is threatened by another fish or afraid of his reflection or something like that because that is due to stress and that can be bad.

Welcome Valentino! You are a very lucky young gentleman. You had a close call coming in a very cold bag and finding a nice warm home with a lovely parent who loves you. Have a wonderful life!
Congratulations to you both.

Rose

AggieYen
And by the way, he is a beautiful betta, really gorgeous. Yes, you will need a filter, definitely. If his fin has a tear, and their fins tear often when they get snagged on things around, keep his water especially clean so that he doesn't get finrot, which can become chronic in some bettas. First thing you'll need is a filter in there, pronto 2.5 gallon is good, 5 gallon is better, 10 gallon is best. Congrats on the new betta, even if he was a surprise!

MissMTS
He is beautiful! I never see light blue colored bettas like yours! Yes, a 5-10 gallon is ideal, but right now I have mine in a 3 gallon and he seems perfectly happy My betta loves to swim throug the plants and does move very quickly, so I don't think you need to worry about yours unless he seems stressed. Good Luck!

Barbrella
That place you ordered from sounds seriously nutso. Poor little betta!

He's very pretty! 3 gallons is okay. Don't worry about the tear in his fin. With clean water it will probably heal right up!

-does he need anything special?

Bettas do not eat flakes like other tropical fish. You need to get some HikarI Betta pellets, and some frozen bloodworms, since bettas are carnivores.

They have very tiny tummies, so just give him at most 3 pellets at one time,after soaking to soften them. For his next meal you can give 3 or 4 bloodworms (depending on size) He'll love you for that!

what is he? like what kind of betta fish?
He's a veiltail, and looks to be quite young.

Are you familiar with cycling a tank?

valentine
thanks for all the help!
so this is what I got, 6.6 gallons, filter. heater, gravel, I gave him some of his favorite plants and started some java moss on driftwood for him and I put a filter in from the tank I took apart in with him for now too just to help with getting the cycle done

I gave him some of my puffers frozen bloodworms and he really enjoyed them!

he is such a charmer! loves the ladies!

does he need any salt?

Allie
thanks for all the help!
so this is what I got, 6.6 gallons, filter. heater, gravel, I gave him some of his favorite plants and started some java moss on driftwood for him and I put a filter in from the tank I took apart in with him for now too just to help with getting the cycle done

I gave him some of my puffers frozen bloodworms and he really enjoyed them!

he is such a charmer! loves the ladies!

does he need any salt?
No salt. That is the perfect sized him for him.
I cannot believe they sent you a betta when you didn't order one. He is so pretty...love the blue.
Blood worm are my bettas' (& most betta) favorite food.

Blub
Hi!

First of - what you have to do is ship him over to the UK for me... (!)

No salt. Bettas and salt don't get along...

chickadee
He will do fine on the bloodworms but do be careful not to overfeed as a betta is a little piglet and will beg for food and will eat until his little tummy is in serious danger. Constipation is serious and can be life threatening in bettas so he should learn to eat peas or get some daphnia. The pea treats can be given a couple times a week. A small sized (the size of his eye) piece of frozen pea is chopped up after you defrost it and peel the outer skin off into 3 or so small pellet sized pieces and try to get him to eat it off a clean finger or small plastic spoon. If you do not want to mess with the peas or he will not eat them (most bettas love them) he can eat Freeze-dried daphnia instead to keep himself regular and tummy trouble free. The daphnia can be used instead of a meal but the peas are used as a treat and given at another time than the meals. Like at least an hour away from meal times. Daphnia is small shellfish that is a regular fish food and is full of protein too and is also a good food for sick fish.

You can also buy Daphnia frozen but I never have so I cannot swear by them. I do however use the freeze-dried variety all the time when my fish are ill or medicated or when they do not want to eat their peas for any reason. (not usually a problem) and sometimes just as a variety food for them.

Rose

≈ D ≈
Welcome to FishLore valentine and congrats on the Betta, even if it was by accident - maybe it was fate

What you have done so far for him is great and I for that. The Java moss in driftwood is a great idea, not only for asthetic reasons but it will also give him an added sense of security and will help with your water parameters once the tank has finished the Nitrogen cycle. In the meantime be sure to keep an on those water parameters and be vigilant with your water changes - which I'm sure you already know.

Drea
So happy you saved that baby! Valentine is a beauty, and so lucky to be sent to you. That vendor...shame on them for putting all that life in danger.

finmama
His colour is beautiful!!!

Cody
woww that's crazy I wonder if that was there way of saying "sorry" for the delayed shipping or that there just insane. very beautiful betta

valentine
I can't thank everyone enough! you really help me make sure valentino will have a good life and that really means a lot to me! i've fallen hard for him in just a couple of days and have had to fight the urge to adopt every cup bound betta I see

some new pictures of valentino in his love shack!

Barbrella
His name is Valentine? How perfect!! He's such a lucky boy.

have had to fight the urge to adopt every cup bound betta I see

A lot of us aren't successful at fighting that urge, so we have to stay away from those sad little cups.

chickadee
Just enjoy your little Valentine and every now and then even if you don't have a question, post a story or comment just to let us know how he is doing and how you are. We are interested and it is fun to live vicariously through the stories of others. He is a little miracle coming through his rough entrance into your life and now he has you just where he wants you ... wrapped around his little fins.

Let us hear from you and Valentine. Happy Day.

Rose

Allie
I just can't believe how gorgeous he is. I have to find betta with that coloring.

miker
Ya...he's gorgeous!

ricktavious
This has been a great story! Glad to hear that you took all the efforts to make sure he has a great home. He's a beautiful guy and can't believe they just randomly sent you to him.....sucks on their part, but must've been fate

Congrats on your guy, he looks great!

valentine
"Customer was sent kit that is self contained with fish, plant and ghost shrimp. There is no need to go buy more equipment for fish to survive. The bowl that comes with kit is more than sufficiant enough for the fish, shrimp and plant to survive. Kit was sent with care guide so that customer can have knowledge on how to care for fish. We have customers order these exact kits and other fish as gifts all the time. Here is a link for our care guide on the fish bowl kit incase customer threw it away."

I told them off pretty good about that...

janoue
He is so stunning. I would be thrilled if someone accidently sent me a betta that looks like that!! Your so lucky, and his colouring is magnificent!

sirdarksol
That's a beautiful fish. I'm glad he (and the shrimp) survived.

Where did you order from? (I ask so I can be sure not to order from them ever) If you said this earlier, I'm sorry.

pamd
I've seen some amazing betta stories on FishLore, but this is one of the best. Those delicate colors are rare and beautiful, and he is truly a special Valentine gift. Thanks for asking about the care of your unexpected friend and for taking care of him!! Best of luck with him, since he arrived without proper temp control, etc. during shipping.

COBettaCouple
He's a handsome betta and we're so glad he survived the ordeal that idiot company put him though to find a loving home with you. You got the exact tank that we prefer for our betta. ;D We just add a heater, air device, substrate and the 'toys' = Betta palace.

He's got beautiful fins and I recommend flat glass marbles over gravel for Bettas. They love to cruise the bottom dragging those fins and gravel can tear them. We pick them up at the Dollar Tree stores for $1 per pound and you can usually find a good variety of colors.

valentine
oh the gravel is really smooth, I actually went to 2 stores looking for the right stuff, it's tumbled and coated so it's super smooth...that might sound silly but I think it was worth it even if it did take a while. I would have used a nice sand like I have in my other tanks but I hear betta fish might eat it.

valentino wants to know if he can eat lasagna, he watched me make it and I swear I could hear him saying to give him some! and he was rather offended when I just offered a bloodworm instead but he ate it anyway cause he's a piggy

ohoh one last thing! he's making a bubblenest for his heater! so cute!

LuvaBetta
They can make you feel really, really guilty for eating in front of them without sharing, can't they? Anyone else find themselves explaining to their fish why they can't have lasagna?

COBettaCouple
Cool. We do have tumbled river rocks in one Bettas tanks, so that gravel sounds good.

He sounds like a great little Betta and I can see that his personality and interaction with you is quickly made him a loved little pet. ;D

oh the gravel is really smooth, I actually went to 2 stores looking for the right stuff, it's tumbled and coated so it's super smooth...that might sound silly but I think it was worth it even if it did take a while. I would have used a nice sand like I have in my other tanks but I hear betta fish might eat it.

valentino wants to know if he can eat lasagna, he watched me make it and I swear I could hear him saying to give him some! and he was rather offended when I just offered a bloodworm instead but he ate it anyway cause he's a piggy

ohoh one last thing! he's making a bubblenest for his heater! so cute!

chickadee
Don't worry about ONLY offering a bloodworm. I have it on very good authority..Marty Jr. tells me..that bloodworms are a bettas FAVORITE food of everything. He has had to eat daphnia for a little problem he has had for the last 2 days and just got his first bloodworms in that time today and you would have thought I gave HIM lasagna!!

I cannot eat in front of mine and that IS a problem as I have them in my Living Room, Den, Bedroom, and Dining Room. The only rooms I have left are the Kitchen and Bath. So I usually find myself eating standing at the kitchen counter. When I have company I have to sit at the dining room table with my back to the tank.

Rose

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

KittieKat
I'm sorry but I just can't get over how beautiful your betta is! if I were to see one like that I wouldnt even have to think about grabbing it!! the sky blue color is just so intriguing..

I feed my bettas a mix of live black worms (their fav), frozen bloodworm, tropical flake, betta flake, betta pellet... they aren't too picky

valentine
it's funny how much everyone loves him, and he so knows it! ego the size of a cow he has the "don't you know who I am?" look down!
I even had 2 offers to buy him!
we call him the sorcerers stone cause you can only get him if you don't want him (or didn't know how much you wanted him)
he is a much loved fish and I just don't know how I lived so long without him

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForBettaorForWorse
  • Question
Replies
Views
Sleepyflea
Top Bottom