Caribsea For Pygmy Cories?

ohdearcheesus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Heyo, friends!

I'm finally at the point where I have the money to put together my 20 gallon long tank and I was looking for some inhabitants for it. Pygmy cories are rather adorable, but I've seen a lot of talk about being careful with substrates.

I've tried sand a couple of times and really just kind of... hate it, even if it looks pretty in a lot of other folks' tanks. So for this tank, I was looking at dirt capped with the Caribsea Peace River Gravel. It looks to be a nice in between rather than straight up sand or gravel.

Has anyone used the CaribSea Peace River Gravel with pygmy cories? Would you recommend it for them?

Celestialpearl

Valued Member
Reaction score
I don't think any type of gravel is good for pygmies due to their size. I don't even like how the fluval stratum because the food still sinks between cracks in the substrate, though it is easier for them to root in than gravel is because it is softer and not sharp/jagged.

With that being said I definitely recommend sand, not blasting sand... that stuff can be quite abrasive and sharp (hence why it is used for sand blasting). Pool filter sand granules are a little bigger, but still small enough.

I do not use sand however... so my work around is to put a glass feeding dish in the tank. I have one hidden under some plants in front of my filter out flow where the current is slow so food isn't blown around which keeps the tank clean, it is non-conspicuous, and I know the cories can get the food.

IMG_1738.JPG

After they are done feasting they lay on the leaves of the plants above the dish. For whatever reason I find it quite amusing. My Otos come out to eat at the dish as well.

The "dish" is actually a glass tea light holder I got from Walmart for $1. It looks similar to this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hosley-s-Set-of-18-CLEAR-Glass-Tea-Light-Holders-3-Diameter-ideal-for-weddings-party-spa-reiki-meditation-votive-candle-gardens-Gifts/687674773

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Why didnt you like sand?

I use Quikrete Pool Filter sand. After thoroughly washing it, no cloudiness and the grains sink back down when disturbed.

Here is some that my Mbuna enjoy excavating.

20190717_123033_1.gif

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pygmy cories are mid to bottom dwellers. They'll be fine on that gravel.

I have tons of corydoras on Caribsea super naturals (sand), PFS and BDBS with no issues. Blasting sand (BDBS) will not damage barbels. Barbel erosion is usually caused by bacteria or parasites, not substrate.

Breeding group of Sterbai on BDBS
2019-06-04 23.08.53-1.jpg

3-4 month old juveniles on PFS
2019-06-20 12.36.45.jpg

2-3 month old juvies on BDBS. I just added the smaller ones so they're still light colored. The darker ones have been on the black substrate for a few weeks.
2019-06-13 23.29.48.jpg

Pygmies on CaribSea SuperNaturals sand (very fine sand)
2019-07-18 23.45.05.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

Dream Tank Type?

• Freshwater

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Saltwater

Votes: 15 38.5%

Top Bottom