CaribSea Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium, Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would this be a good choice for sand, its not quite sand but its not gravel either..? I currently have a bare bottom but want to change it to sand.

My plants are turning brown in spots and Im hoping this would help keep them healthy. Not sure what kind of plants they are you can see them here:

--I plan to remove the caves in the middle since no one uses them and add more plants. (I may hide the two small ones, one in each of the back corners though)

Or do you think a white or tan sand would be/look better? If so what brand?

edit:
Or would this be better:
Seachem Flourite Plant Substrate

-Also I plan to go with just a plain black background.

Last edited:

nbedwards934

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you should go with a black substrate. The darker the substrate, the more the color of your plants and fish will pop. If you don't want it to be completely black, you could go with a mix of Eco Complete Planted Black Aquarium Substrate (no rinsing required) and a natural aquarium gravel (rinsing definitely required). I have those two mixed in my 37 gallon. It also allows the plants' roots to have more to grab onto.

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly, either or will work. I've had the same effects from each of the substrates. I would recommend getting one or the other, and start using root tabs. The root tabs will give your plants the nutrients they need (The brown spots on your plants are caused by nutrient deficiencies). If you want, you could as well start dosing some Flourish Excel as a Carbon source for your plants. They'd love that.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nikita:

If i get Seachem Flourish Excel do you think my plants will do ok in just plain sand? I think I want to do white sand with a black background...

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your plant should so just fine! I would still though use some root tabs with the sand to be on the safe side.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks!

I see some posters saying they use pool filter sand, is this as safe as the sand in the petstore? (is there chlorine in it?) Will it be as good for the plants?

klogue2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
PFS is a great choice for sand, don't even have to rinse it, well maybe once or twice if you think it's too dusty. But much cleaner than play sand.

If you use something like eco complete or fluorite you don't need root tabs, the substrate provides all the nutrients. But something like plain old sand you will need root tabs with.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
klogue2:

I saw in a review for Seachem Flourish Tabs that someone used:

Life Extension Empty Gelatin Capsuleshttp:

and filled them with Osmocote Outdoor and Indoor Smart-Release Plant Food:

And then planted those as directed on the Seachem Tab box "Insert one Flourish Tab™ in the gravel for every 10–15 cm (4–6 in.) radius."

Do you think that would work/is safe for the fish? (It's a ton cheaper....)

klogue2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've heard of people doing that, but don't have any experience with it.

TBH as long as your tank doesn't have a huge footprint you won't need a lot of root tabs, and I think it's $10 for 8 or 10 tabs, which you replace every 3-4 months. I personally think that is much cheaper and more efficient that way then the DIY way.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks klogue2!

I will just get the Seachem Flourish Tabs, do you think I should also get Seachem Flourish Excel or would that be overkill?

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You could as well get the Excel, they are two total different things with different functions. Your plants would love some Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom