carib sea instant aquarium substrate Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by aquarium dunce, Dec 15, 2009.

1. aquarium dunceValued MemberMember

Has anybody ever used this substrate?? I am getting ready to start a 30 gallon and it if helps with the cycle I am all for it lol... but want some opinions first!

Thanks

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello AD. I've never used it. I don't know anyone that has. Hopefully you'll get some more responses today. Keep us posted and let us know if you use it and how it works for you.
    Thanks!
    Ken

3. OP
    OP
    a

aquarium dunceValued MemberMember

I will I was thinking about using it with the tetra safe start... I would go the shrimp and wait method but I have to do a quick switch because of the excess snail population in my 20 gallon.

4. lorabellWell Known MemberMember

I have used it with great results.....just keep a close eye on perimeters, and dont over-stock....good luck.....

5. OP
    OP
    a

I was thinking about using that as substrate and then adding tetra safe start with a couple of fish to fully cycle... does that sound ok?? I would like to be able to add some gravel or filter media from my already cycled tank but I am afraid of snail contamination.

6. Dolphini

DolphiniValued MemberMember

I did use that type in the moonlight sand flavor, and it's very nice looking, although the grains are superfine! Might have trouble with sucking too much up a gravel vac. And of course, depending on the color, it shows every speck of grime that touches it. :-\

7. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I don't understand why an abundance of snails in the current tank would necessitate a quick switch as opposed to a fishless cycle.

8. OP
    OP
    a

well the snails had been clogging up the filter but at the moment not doing to bad that way the other reason I need to do a fast switch is space restraints....small apartment not enough room for 2 big tanks for the several weeks it takes to cycle.... I can make it work for short time only. I would like to seed the new tank with filter media/gravel from current tank but don't want to risk the snail infestation. Any ideas???

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice