Careers in the fish industry

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 19, 2015.

1. fishcrazy99Well Known MemberMember

Okay so one things for sure, i love this hobby and everything to do with it. I will be needing to pick a college soon and decide on a career. Ive always wanted to be either some kind of doctor or a veterinarian but i much rather have a career that has something to do with my hobby. So i wanted to ask you guys what careers there are in the fish industry that i could go to college for? Im a 4.0 honor student in the national honor society, all my classes since the middle school have been honors or AP. That said, i can be whatever i want so mention any and all options.
    Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

3. EricV

EricVFishlore VIPMember

Business. You can apply it to many different aspects of the hobby or elsewhere.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Marine biology with a minor in chemistry would be your best bet I would think. You live in a good state for working in the aquarium industry.

You really want to look into getting yourself to this place at some point.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Marine biologist!

Edit: Ninja'd!

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

:)

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You could even invest in an existing LFS that's being sold and you wouldn't even really need a college degree to run the business! Just have a general knowledge about fish is all I think you would need.

8. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ichthyology is something I would do some day....

9. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

When I was applying to colleges I was looking into it, but it looks like to be taken seriously you need a phd.

10. SnyperTodd

SnyperToddValued MemberMember

It really depends on your ultimate goals. Do you want to work for yourself some day, like owning an LFS? Do you want some type of research job? Or would you rather be some type of keeper/caretaker at a public aquarium? Each has different education requirements, and different income potential not necessarily directly related to the amount of education. The bottom line, as you realize, is that you have no limits right now. Congratulations on putting yourself in a fantastic position to dictate your own future. Make the best of it!
    I agree with EricV though, having some formal education in business will greatly benefit you in virtually any career path you may choose.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Well, I got a MBA but I don't even apply the stuff I learned in school anyway lol, but I still ended up working for myself anyway, I own and run a trucking/warehousing business. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice