Care tips for Rosy reds? 29 Gallon Tank

1. fbn

fbn Well Known Member Member

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could give me some care tips. They would bein around 78F water. THanks!

2. 2

2focusd New Member Member

Well, what in partciular were you wanting to know about them? I've kept some in my 55G community tank that's kept between 76 - 78 *F for well over a year and haven't had any problems with them at all. I think the trick is to pick healthy, active ones from the tank, and be sure to watch them all very carefully when you first get them, because many fish in the feeder tanks aren't very well cared for and could easily be sick or weak.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get them, I love minnows :)

-Brian

3. OP
    OP
    fbn

Well, for one are the parasties that they are "infested" with easily visible? Tips like do they want lots of swimming space or dense cover. Just if you have any general keeping tips. Thanks!

4. 2

Oh, gotcha. Well, the parasites that I was referring to is mostly ich, which is clearly visible by looking for small white patches on the fish's body. If one of them does have (or develops) ich though don't worry, because there are many treatments out there that can cure it. Or you could turn the tank up to about 82*F as that's warm enough that it'll kill any of the parasites :)

As for swimming habits, I've really seen it go both ways. In my big tank, we have a bunch of rosy reds and fatheads that have been rescued from the feeder tanks and really they're kind of all over the place, haha. Some of them enjoy hanging out in rock caves, but others are swimming around with my scissortails all the time. In my 10G bedroom tank, I used to have a whole school of minnows that I got from my neighbor's pond when they were probably a week old at best and they spent a lot of time hanging out in the big rock cave I made for them.

I've found that minnows are very unique in that they're all capable of showing very different personalities. Sure most fish are like that, but minnows just aren't expected to be that way, and that's why I love them so much.

-Brian

5. OP
    OP
    fbn

I plan on getting some in a couple of days :). Hope they do good! Thanks a lot!

6. OP
    OP
    fbn

Also, is quarantining a must? I only have an extra 1.5 gal tank without a filter. Instead of putting them straight into my tropical community, should I put them in a 10 gallon with goldfish? (the goldfish are probably going to be rehomed to my sisters 55 gal when it is setup)

7. 2

Well, I've never quarantined mine before adding them, instead I just keep a close eye on them to make sure they're healthy and don't show any deformities or issues. Also, I'm sure you're already aware, but goldfish are only recommended in a colder-water tank that allows about 20G of tank space per goldfish. They're pigs and make a huge mess out of small tanks, so they'll definitely be happier in your sister's tank :)

-Brian

8. OP
    OP
    fbn

Thanks a lot 2focusd!

9. 2

You're welcome :)

-Brian