Care of Pygmy Cories. Help

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi :) The breeder I am getting my Ranchus off offered to send me some free fish with my delivery. I (obviously) chose cories, I just can't get enough of their... silliness! And I've always had my eye on Dwarf species as they have a different look to them.

He is sending me 6 Pygmy Corydoras (Pygmaeus Corydoras) and I plan on putting them in my 32 Gallon/120Litre community tank with a Dwarf Gourami, 7 Neon Tetra and 6 White widow Tetra. I currently have 6 Albino's in this tank and I have a tank with dark sand they would look lovely against which, they can move to. I wouldn't like to move them unless it's absolutely necessary so could they all fit and get along in this tank? Obviously the Pygmies are bound for QT on arrival so I have time to figure out the best place for them to go... Or buy another tank ;)

The tank is currently 26C/79F, is this temperature suitable for the cories? Albino or Pygmy?

The tank also has 1/4 sand and 3/4 Aquasoil capped with fine roman gravel, the Albinos never stray off the sand, unless they are playing Tag. I know cories love sand, I see it daily.. Is it safe to keep them with gravel too? The sand was added for the Cories delight, should I add more if adding more cories?

Quick pic.. Not the whole tank, the part on the left is thick with plants but you can see the sand section I am referring to.
    GetAttachment (66).jpg

any other advice or input is greatly appreciated as I have never had Pygmy Cories before.
    Thanks.x

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

26c is towards the top end for pygmys but they should be ok at that.
    Pygmys spend a lot of their time in the middle levels foraging on plants etc though they do also go to the bottom to feed & rest.
    You might find them a bit shy with just 6 as they're so small, I found they did best in much larger groups though if you have dither fish they may be just fine.
    As they have tiny mouths they can be a bit picky food wise, bloodworms unless chopped up are too big for them. Try frozen cyclops, bbs & squish any pellets to break them up & soften them
    Pics expected as usual when you get them ;)

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I kind of expected your reply, that's why I used the "english measurements"! Thank you.

I will probably order another 6 with my next order to the breeder anyway, I can't resist their little eyes :)

Will they be okay with the Albinos assuming I have space for them stocking wise? When the next batch arrive I plan on moving the Albinos anyway, so it would only be a short term thing!

Photos? Of course, every new fish must be christened onto Fishlore!x

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They'll be just fine with the albinos, you may find they stay near them at first until they settle in

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Great, thanks!x

6. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

My pygmies swim with both the panda and hasbrosus corydora. They should be fine. They are super tiny.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Finally, a little Pyg that would sit still long enough for a photo :)

GetAttachment (76).jpg

They are so tiny! They're just over 1cm long and absolutely adorable. They perch in the leaves of the fern and anubias. I'm totally in love!

They may just have their own tank forever. with a nice big group of them. I just can't get over how cute they are.x

8. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh you are definitely hooked, dare I say they're even cuter in larger groups in a species only tank? hehe sorry couldn't resist ;)

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I think they're wonderful enough to be kept on their own. In a 110 litre I'm pretty sure I could get quite a few as well (they look lost in there as a 6)! I may get another school of dwarf cories to go with them. When I saw may, I mean will :D do you have a suggestion to go with them?

They swim about the tank much more than the Albinos in the community so I don't think it would need any mid-top dwellers. I'm actually quite surprised how well they swim. Love, love, love them!!x

10. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

They do spend more of their time swimming in the middle levels than other corys, hastatus do the same.
    Habrosus are cute too & spend most of their time on the bottom.
    One of mine

[​IMG]

11. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Uh.. How cute?!! Wow.

I think I could do a decent size school of all three and have a Dwarf Cory tank! It doesn't take much to do either, they are currently in an unused cycled 110Litre so all I need to do is decorate for them and they can stay put.

I love this forum! I love members like you! My bank account may not, but I sure do!!!x

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A small cory tank would be great, there are other small species but you don't see them very often, C.cochui, c.gracilis & c.xinguensis would love to get hold of some of those

13. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

oooh... That sounds like a challenge ;)

Thanks for your help with them.x