Care for the baby platy I found in the gravel of my 20 gal. tank? How Do I 

wastmke316

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I was cleaning the gravel in my 20 gal. tank and found a baby platy living in the rocks. I didn't even know that my female platy had given birth! I'm guessing the rest of the babies were eaten by the other fish in the tank, but this little guy somehow survived by hiding in the rocks. I gave the baby its own one gal. tank with a filter and stuff. I've been feeding it crushed tropical fish flakes twice a day, and the little guy seems pretty lively. Any advice on how to keep my baby fish healthy? And also, when is it safe to release the little one back into the main tank (providing it survives)? The baby is a little over a quarter inch long now.
Thanks.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI and welcome to the forum. I bet he/she is adorable! <3

I give my fry mostly HikarI firsts bites and when they are almost a month old I give them crushed flake food. Since fry are sensitive on water quality. So monitor the baby and your levels ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. Platies like hard water( Ph of 7.6-8.0).

Good luck on the baby and I want to see a picture of it. ^^

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it'll be ready to go back in the main tank once it doesn't fit in any of the adult's mouths. However it's good to keep an eye on it even if it is too big to be eaten because it may still get picked on.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

Fry should be fed more than twice a day since they have such little tummies, I've read up to as many as six times a day. I fed mine finely crushed flakes.

That whole "until they won't fit in the adults' mouths" is too vague for me and I wish there was a better answer. I thought my 1/2" fry were too big to be eaten by 2-3" fish but I was wrong... So keep it in its own tank as long as you can.

-Lisa

wastmke316

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pictures of my baby platy

Here are two pictures of the baby platy I rescured from the rocks of my 20 gal. tank. Hope he makes it!!

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He's very cute! Just keep up on water changes, fry need very clean water. I can't imagine anyone being able to eat him at that size, but I don't know how zoomed in you are lol.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They grow pretty fast,
try to treat him with baby brine shrimp. They absolutly love it.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
He would probably do just fine. I have seen 5 total platy fry in my tank (2 sets of two and a single guy right now) I still have 3, one from each pair plus the new little loner. The little one I have now is fine in the tank with 2 adults, a four month old, and a 1.5 month old.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you were to float some live hornwort in your main tank, he could probably go in there right now. I have hornwort covering the top of my 55 gallon where my platies are and I am *constantly* finding new babies. I've literally found four in the past week (which may not seem like a lot, but in addition to the seven adult platies, there are another six which are almost adult sized, plus four female bettas and a very voracious upside down catfish whose favorite snack is platy babies), all hiding in my hornwort.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I've moved your thread to the Live Bearers/Platy section of the forum.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

*Hannah*

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What a little cutie! I wish you luck!

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I once found a single red eye Tetra fry in my 10 gallon tank. I isolated the fry and kept it isolated until it was about half the size of the adults. But that was a tetra and they can be a bit more violent than plattys.

My mollies, on the other hand, tolerate frys that can fit inside their mouths because they are now used to seeing so many in the tank.

For a single, you have to be really careful. I'd keep him in isolation until he's big enough not to be eaten. The adults could even gang up on him.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ive had that same surprise from time to time, they seem to come out of no where! Good advice from everyone above, if you can though, I would try to float the small container in your 20 gallon aquarium if at all possible. This will keep the temperature more consistent and it makes those daily water changes much simpler, all you have to do is pour most of the container's water into the tank, and then fill it back up with water from the tank. I also like to float some plant trimmings from plants like anacharis inside the fry tank, it gives them something to nibble on if they get hungry, gravel/rocks covered in algae will work as well. I also agree with feeding baby brine shrimp. Live or frozen, they are great nutrition and the babies absolutely love it! Keeping good water quality and feeding several small, nutritious meals a day will help him to grow quickly until he can be kept in the main tank.

I would definitely give the little guy a little extra time to grow before adding him to the main tank. Your gouramI and tetras would love to make him a little snack, wait until you are positive they won't try to eat him. If you float the container in the main tank, often times you will notice the fry trying to swim into tank through the sides of the container when they are ready to go in, if the fry swims to the top of the container whenever a fish swims by it, the fry is definitely not ready. I know my gouramI absolutely loves platy fry, the day after one of my fish drops, the gouramI is always digging into every little crevice and deep into the plants looking for fry. A long time ago when I had black skirts, those guys were also big fry eaters, you would be surprised how large a fish they can fit in their mouths!

Good luck with the little guy, and of course welcome to fishlore!

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can't feed lightly multiple times a day, they will graze on flake on the bottom. I sometimes throw a little piece of algae wafer into my breeder tank and the fry go get some whenever they are hungry.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads