Care for newborn corydoras

• Thread starter FishGirl115
  • Start date

FishGirl115

Well Known
Hey guys! Exciting day. At least 5 out of 9 peppered Cory eggs have hatched! Others should follow soon. I just out a crushed up catfish pellet in.
Tank is 3 gallon but I have it half full because else it's so tall I'm afraid they won't be able to reach the top. I want to move them to a shallower container, but the sponge filter won't work then, what do I do? P.S tank if backwards because the eggs were behind the log so I wanted to be able to see them

Attachments

fjh

Well Known
Congratulations!
First of all, dont worry about the height of the tank. newborn cories will stay on the bottom and cant take a gulp of air like their parents anyways, so make sure the sponge filter is working at its best.
Second, they will be absorbing their egg sack for a day or two after they hatch, so no need to feed yet. I hightly recommend getting BBS, microworms, or another fry food just because they are so small and because live/frozen food is more nutritious. other than that, good luck!

aquachris

FishGirl115 said:
Hey guys! Exciting day. At least 5 out of 9 peppered Cory eggs have hatched! Others should follow soon. I just out a crushed up catfish pellet in.
Tank is 3 gallon but I have it half full because else it's so tall I'm afraid they won't be able to reach the top. I want to move them to a shallower container, but the sponge filter won't work then, what do I do? P.S tank if backwards because the eggs were behind the log so I wanted to be able to see them
I would think they would be okay to get up to that... I remember having some albino cories have eggs and hatching back in the day, but I did keep them in a breeder box for a little bit, then took them out once they got larger than a guppies mouth lol (that was the biggest mouth I had in my tank at the time). Worst case you could do something similar for the time being (fill up but use a breeder box for now).

Another thought on the filter, you can just take the sponge off the filter, wrap it around the airstone (use zip ties or something like that around the stone part to keep it together. That will allow you to probably shave off a little more height.

EDIT: like said- you dont need to feed for 24-48 hours. But I think I did BBS and some fry food I bought at a store (powder something).

FishGirl115

Well Known
I put some food in their tank, but they haven't eaten it so now it's turning into ammonia. I don't want to vacuum it up because I don't want to vac up the babies.

Flyfisha

Well Known
A turkey baster might be of some help in that tiny 1.5 gallons of water. You can add more water to fill it up to 3 gallons. You need to feed often and in my opinion clean and remove some water often in a 3 gallon .

Using a length of hose to vacuum is safe enough as long as you don’t squash the fry under the hose and glass. Vacuuming fish is a normal way to move fry around. Vacuum into a bucket,any fry can be netted back into the tank.

I have personal experience in starving corydoras fry.
That tank you have is very clean and most likely has zero creatures ( Infusorea) living under zero leaf litter or in zero moss. All food is going to have to come from you.

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
I have a length of airline tubing ziptied (just enough to hold it and not crush the airline) to a skewer. This works great as a TINY vacuum. I can take a picture if you need. And I catch the water into a 4 cup measurer, so I can verify no fry get sucked in, then I can dump water in confidence that I haven't lost any! I use this method in my shrimp tank and various other tanks for spot removal.

FishGirl115

Well Known
Mhamilton0911 said:
I have a length of airline tubing ziptied (just enough to hold it and not crush the airline) to a skewer. This works great as a TINY vacuum. I can take a picture if you need. And I catch the water into a 4 cup measurer, so I can verify no fry get sucked in, then I can dump water in confidence that I haven't lost any! I use this method in my shrimp tank and various other tanks for spot removal.
Great idea! I picture would be lovely if it's not too much trouble

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
No problem! Obviously you can make it the length you need, this was just a scrap I had at the time. And then I placed it next to a juvenile shrimp so you can see how detailed you can be, and since it's an air hose, the flow is slow so you can be very careful. I use this every day.

Attachments

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Think about soaking dry food.

Top Bottom