Care for my snail/Java moss

Nightfish1513

Hello its been a while since I been on here, but I had a question ever since I had gotten my new snail. About a week ago I brought a Nertie Snail from petco. I was wondering what I should do when it comes to the care of it, like when should I feed it? something in that nature. So far its been all over my tank eating the algae in my tank. Also another problem I been having is with my Java moss, its been turning brown for a while and its not getting any better. I been using Flora pride 0-0-3, a friend of mind told me to put it in every few days. Also I now have a Amazon sword and I put the root tabs in it, also the same friend mention it might help the java moss. But its been losing its color, its almost all brown. What should I do throw it out or see if I can save it

Teishokue

Hows your water? How much water change do you do weekly? Since you add so much chemicals i'd suggest your snail is having a hard time with all that copper, so just be careful with copper and scale-less fish/inhabitants. where is your java moss? is it attached to something? floating? in the substrate? how much lighting do you have? any other plants besides amazon swords?? if its brown and still have some green, you can turn it around.

Nightfish1513

I only chage 50% of the water and no more. I don't add to much, just a small amount due to the fact I have a 2.5 gallon tank. As for the Java moss its floating in a corner of the tank near my small bridge. As for the light its in the Light itself. I do move it around a little when I change the water from time to time. As for the other plants I do have a moss ball, but its in no really danger. An you think so? What should I get to help it be green again?

Also do you have any ideas about how to feed my snail or should I let it eat the algae in the tank

Teishokue

For your java moss, they survive best intact with a surface. most likely a piece of driftwood, rock or filter. it must not get much nutrition since water doesn't circulate very well. imagine chemicals in a tank with no circulation and the plant is floating. also see if the tips of the moss is still green if it isnt, its most likely dead.

As for you're snail. If you're really worried about feeding it. I suggest some JBL novo tab food. it sticks to the glass or anywhere you put it. but other foods do just fine. A sinking wafer or just simply flakes that have fallen.

Dolfan

Plants - It sounds like you may not have the right kind of light. Is your light near the 6500k range? Plants need light in this range to help with photosynthesis, it can be anywhere in the 5000-8000k range roughly. Also, as for your ferts, the root tabs will be beneficial for your swords but not so much for your java moss. I'm not familiar with flora pride, but with a 0-0-3 mix of ferts its not very balanced. I would suggest some all around Flourish comprehensive, which is a mix of the big 3 "macro" fertilizers (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) and some of the "trace or micro" ferts that are needed in smaller amounts. It is a liquid fertilizer which is ideal for java moss as it feeds from the water column, absorbing nutrients floating in the water.

Snails - Nerite snails are fairly easy to care for, you just need to make sure they have algae to eat. If your tank has been cleaned of algae, you could supplement with algae wagers or even blanched veggies like zucchinI and spinach. Both of those veggies have calcium in them which will help with shell health. There is a small amount of copper in Flourish Comprehensive, but no enough to effect the snail. Many people including me, use this successfully with shrimp and snails.

Nightfish1513

For your Question about the light Dolfan the light blub in my tank is a Zoo Med UltraSun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb, 10-Watt. I keep it on most of the day, I sometimes ask my family members to feed my fish and turn off the light at times. It was something that was recommended to me when I was shopping at Petco it said it would help. But hasn't really done anything. As for the items that you are recommending to me do you know if I can get it at petco?

As for the snail, thanks. I do have some algae wafers in case it eats all the algae in my tank, its been really active as of late and has been eating a lot since I haven't see that much algae in my tank

Teishokue-

The Java moss right now, there is still some green at the tips. But a lot of it is brown already, I had this java moss a little over a year now and if I can save it I want to try. The java moss mostly in a corner next to a fake plant I have and the bridge that I have. It floats a little but not a lot. My friend did a water test on it some time ago and the ph was a little low. Does this help?

Top Bottom