Care for annubias

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by azbev, Jul 2, 2016.

1. azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

To my surprise, one of my annubias bloomed! Do I cut-off the bloom as soon as it appears to fade, or is there some reason to keep it on the plant? Also, some of the older leaves are looking brownish on the edges (may also be a bit of diatoms). When edges are brownish, is that the time to clip the leaves off or do I wait until the leaf really fades? Thank you very much.

2. Fettuccini

Fettuccini Well Known Member Member

If you don't like the looks of the brown on the leaves, you can absolutely prune them off without harming the plant. Same with the flowers. Unless you're trying to pollinate another plants with it, removing it won't cause any issues. Anubias are tough plants to kill. They'll just keep on going through nearly anything you do to them.

3. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

They will always be the last plant standing in a aquarium. Even java fern or moss can't beat it. My 20 gallon high was nicely planted until some rust leaks into the water killing most of y java fern, some java moss, most of my staurogyne repens, and some hornwort. My anubia Nana was untouched. Here's a before and after

[​IMG]before
    [​IMG]after

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  4. OP
    OP
    azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

Wow, Alphonsus, what an incredible difference. Yes, I know these anubias are very hardy; thank you for responding. Fettucini: I am not worried about hurting the plant but rather doing what is best for the plant -- cutting sooner or later. Perhaps it doesn't matter. I did just talk with a friend who mentioned the pollination, which is when she cuts hers. She also noted that one not need to cut the leaves until they yellow. (Sorry to bother the forum; I didn't know she had anumbias.) I find it extremely interesting that underwater plants pollinate.. No bees needed -- Ha! Thank you both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice